PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan Removal on a 90 535i

Quazzymoto
09-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Alright, I've searched and searched everywhere but i'm stuck at a point right now trying to remove my Oil Pan. I have the car on ramps, and cleaned off the oil pan best I could to see every bolt to remove. After removing all 30-40 bolts, and the brackets for the alt and steering pump off of the pan, it just sits there...it will not come down.

NOW, I know that i need to either jack up the engine and what not or remove the cross-member in order to actually remove the oil pan completely, but what else could be holding this pan up, or on. I can see that I have clearance to drop the pan a inch before it hits the cross-member, but it's stuck on the bottom of the engine block... I've tried pulling on these little square tabs that are around the pan, and it opens very little, like 1/4, when I let go it closes. It seems that something else is keeping it from coming off and I DON'T want to break anything...any help or suggestions...I'm about to set this car on fire...I've already put in a new Headgasket and RearTrans Seal, but this is a bigger pain in my (&^#&^!!
Edit/Delete Message

Jr ///M5
09-02-2006, 12:55 PM
On a 535, you must place piston #6 in the TDC position in order for the pan to clear the crank. Even when you do this, you still have to jack up the engine a bit.

Good luck and stay patient, working on cars can be a character builder you know....;)

Jr

Jeff in MN
09-02-2006, 02:11 PM
Did you take off the those bolts that hold on the Bell Housing reinforcement plates? These plates hide a few more oil pain bolts at the very back of the pan. Page 119-4 of Bentley gives you a good idea of what to look for.

Last year I did the oil "pain" gasket on my e28 with the M30 engine. It took me about 10 hours. I ended up jacking up the engine from underneath and then added blocks at the motor mounts to hold it in place after a removed jack. You also need to make sure the #6 cyl is at TDC.

Good luck.
Jeff in MN
88-528e, 87-525is, 90-535i