PDA

View Full Version : Magnecor ignition leads

M Malaviya
09-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Was reading up on magnecor ignition wires - sounded impressive - has anyone tried these, and would they be prepared to write a brief review, or recommendation?

Many thanks.
1991/535i/82000 mls

ThoreauHD
09-02-2006, 02:44 PM
Do you notice a difference when you plug your computer into a thin electrical wire or thick one? Copper or platinum? Coke or Pepsi?

All these wires do is not affect other wires next to them- due to EM shielding aka Rubber insulation. Which is like every other wire and inanimate object with electricity flowing through it. The thing is, there ain't nothing next to your ignition cables to be affected, so I'm not getting the point.

From the write-up and modern physics, it's just a set of cables. If you have more electricity/current going through it, you need bigger cables with more insulation. But that ain't the issue with cars, just lightening rods and 3 phase backup generators. I would say go ahead and get these just because you like them. It's a nice color.

genphreak
09-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Was reading up on magnecor ignition wires - sounded impressive - has anyone tried these, and would they be prepared to write a brief review, or recommendation?

Many thanks.
1991/535i/82000 mlsI think the stock ones do ok. I suspect mine are 18 years old... I'd like to see any aftermarket set last that long. :) Nick

Jr ///M5
09-02-2006, 10:04 PM
You don't have to read between the lines to see what they are saying to you. Matter of fact, if the leads aren't leaking, they don't need replacing.

In a dark garage at night with the engine running and the hood up, (just make sure the garage door is open to be safe.) Look for any jumping or electrical arcing from the plug wires, if you can't see it....it ain't there.

In other words, send the money you will spend for plug wires to my address and see if your car runs any better....

Jr

genphreak
09-02-2006, 10:09 PM
You don't have to read between the lines to see what they are saying to you. Matter of fact, if the leads aren't leaking, they don't need replacing.

In a dark garage at night with the engine running and the hood up, (just make sure the garage door is open to be safe.) Look for any jumping or electrical arcing from the plug wires, if you can't see it....it ain't there.

In other words, send the money you will spend for plug wires to my address and see if your car runs any better....

Jr:) good advice there for testing- as well as making sure the plugs are not fouling, JIC. Which of course, is not necessarily the leads even if they are.

I am impressed by the fittings and boots on the stock ones. Mine look new, and go on and off perfectly. I have no concern that BMW didn't spec them optimally, but any aftermarket set would need to exude the quality of the stock set (Bosch or BERU I think) to even get a look in. Stock is about US$100 I think, I cannot bring myself to complain about that! :) Nick