PDA

View Full Version : Bugger! - Car won't start

Flamin'Cow
09-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Okay chaps - have a little problem with my 1989 535I SE.

It won't start.

Its weird tho....sometimes it will, sometimes it wont.

I turn the key in the ignition and 'nothing'...not even a 'click' from the solenoid. Then, if I bump start the car it will work fine for a few days, start on the key and then, out of the blue, nothing - the same thing all over.

Today I started and stopped the engine (on the key) about 4 or 5 times and then, suddenly, it wouldnt start. I tried to bump start it but the engine wouldn't 'catch' - it ran (really rough like it was firing on only 1 cylinder) for a bit and then died. It did this 2 or 3 times and then I tried the key again and managed to start it first time - It ran fine - I drove home (about 7 miles), turned the ignition off and tried to re-start and guess what! - NOTHING!

So I removed the starter motor (not an easy thing to do) and replaced the Solenoid but it still wont start on the key.....

The starter motor appears to be fine, the brushes are not worn and everything seems okay within.....I cleaned all the terminals, greased the inner 'gubbins' - but nothing, not even a 'click' from the solenoid.

The haynes guide says that either I have a problem in the 'fused' ignition wiring or that the starter switch is faulty - any ideas?

I have tried to trace the wiring back from the starter/solenoid but its really difficult - I also can't find the 'fuse' that the Haynes guide is talking about....

HELP - I need my car!!!!!!!!!

Blitzkrieg Bob
09-01-2006, 05:04 PM
[Starter relay?
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/electrical/fusible_link.htm

DaveVoorhis
09-01-2006, 05:42 PM
I've had a similar problem in my 525i for some time. When it's hot, turning the key sometimes won't light the starter. I get around this by carrying a jumper cable to briefly bridge the +ve battery terminal to the upper terminal on the starter solenoid, and momentarily spin the starter (whiiiizzzz!!!) After that, it usually starts fine, though on really hot days I sometimes have to do it a couple of times. I suspect a flaky solenoid; spinning the starter probably gives it enough vibration to re-seat the starter switch in the solenoid. I'll replace when I get some time, but for now it keeps me going. Dunno if that'd work on yours, but it might be worth a try.

nizmainiac
09-01-2006, 06:13 PM
i would say tap the solenoid on the starter with a hammer but its not that easy to get to

BillionPa
09-01-2006, 11:17 PM
sounds like the DME relay

ericbendler
01-08-2007, 05:18 PM
where is the starter? I need to tap on mine to get it home. I hope that it is the starter.

I know it is hard to get to, but I can't seem to find it.

DaveVoorhis
01-08-2007, 05:44 PM
It's under the intake runners.