PDA

View Full Version : Old Oil Pan Gasket Removal

Evan
09-01-2006, 11:26 AM
My old oil pan gasket is cemented onto the oil pan.

What's the fastest way of removing it without damaging the pan?

SnakeyesTx
09-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Really sharp blade scraper or use a dremel or small grinder sander and work it slowly with a medium grit to get the majority of it off then a fine grit to finish it. 9 times out of 10, the sharp scraper will work though, and it will peel inlarge pieces that way as well. Then if there happens to be any tiny residual gasket left, fine sandpaper by hand.

31Hertz
09-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Careful with that grinder or ye shall have some nasty leaks. I would suggest a plastic scraper or gentle use of a pocket knife after a good dousing / 10 minute soak of brake spray-cleaner.

632 Regal
09-01-2006, 12:08 PM
I used a sharp scraper starting with a hammer to get it started then slid it fast into the cemented parts. That stuff was flying everywhere even tho I had it half way in a box. not a fun thing, takes longer than the remove/replace tighten oul pump bolts thing.

were the pump bolts loose?

Evan
09-01-2006, 12:15 PM
all the bolts were fine and the chain tension was fine, too... the PO maintained it regularly.

It had Platinum plugs in it though and I didn't realize it until I changed them. I've had this car for a year and put 5000 miles on it without any performance or idle issues.

The one issue I am finding is oil on the plugs in the two cylinders next to the firewall. It could be a valve seal or o-ring? It's minimal but it's there.

nizmainiac
09-01-2006, 12:42 PM
a gasket scraper or a masking blade