PDA

View Full Version : front end grind noise on hard braking

pba
08-31-2006, 10:56 PM
I have a grind noise coming from the front end when i brake on my 97 5 Series. The noise only comes about when braking solidly but not on soft braking. Pads and discs are new and where changed only a fortnight ago thinking this could be the problem but it wasn't. Has anyone a similar problem diagnosed?
pba

Gayle
08-31-2006, 11:45 PM
FYI (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=20424&highlight=shogun)

More (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=25258)

rob101
08-31-2006, 11:47 PM
I have a grind noise coming from the front end when i brake on my 97 5 Series. The noise only comes about when braking solidly but not on soft braking. Pads and discs are new and where changed only a fortnight ago thinking this could be the problem but it wasn't. Has anyone a similar problem diagnosed?
pba
did you bed your pads in like a good boy, or did you punish them from the moment there were changed like a bad boy?

pba
09-01-2006, 12:30 AM
did you bed your pads in like a good boy, or did you punish them from the moment there were changed like a bad boy?

No problem the've been bedded in properly, but as i mentioned this was happening before they were changed.
pba

rob101
09-01-2006, 01:16 AM
hmmmm, well the only other thing i can think of is something like a wheel bearing. have a look at the discs for grooves though. there maybe something metal touching the disc.

BillionPa
09-01-2006, 03:05 AM
sounds like my bearings did.... before i replaced them.

Michael999
09-01-2006, 03:48 AM
Grind noise.. do you feel it through your brake pedal, ABS makes that sensation.
Drive on some sand and jump the brakes and see if its the same thing.

pba
09-04-2006, 05:25 AM
Grind noise.. do you feel it through your brake pedal, ABS makes that sensation.
Drive on some sand and jump the brakes and see if its the same thing.

No shaking or vibration through pedal. in fact no vibration through steering wheel either just this grinding noise. i too though bearings but wasn't sure.