PDA

View Full Version : transmission will not shift.

pHoff
08-30-2006, 04:29 PM
Hi I have a 1989 525i that has been in a pretty good mechanical condition until this morning. I have not started the cars in four days, and when I tried to move the car this morning, it will not reverse nor go forward. The gear selector does go to all the different positions and is indicated on the dash board, but the car will not move. PLEASE HELP.

Reckless_Kelly
08-30-2006, 05:10 PM
Check the linkage at the transmission. Near the front of the tranny on the left (driver's) side. There is a spring clip that holds the arm to the linkage, and that usually comes off over time. Shouldn't be too expensive to get fixed.

BillionPa
08-30-2006, 07:45 PM
can you get it into neutral? if not its probably the linkage.

pHoff
08-30-2006, 08:02 PM
Check the linkage at the transmission. Near the front of the tranny on the left (driver's) side. There is a spring clip that holds the arm to the linkage, and that usually comes off over time. Shouldn't be too expensive to get fixed.

Thanks! I will check that first thing in the morning.

pHoff
08-30-2006, 08:06 PM
can you get it into neutral? if not its probably the linkage.

It does go into neutral and every other gear but which ever gear that I put it into, the car does not move. Every other gear acts like the car is in park or neutral.

DaveVoorhis
08-30-2006, 09:12 PM
It does go into neutral and every other gear but which ever gear that I put it into, the car does not move. Every other gear acts like the car is in park or neutral.
If it's a failed linkage, that's probably because it is in park or neutral. Can you push the car in any gear? If not, it's stuck in park.

BillionPa
08-30-2006, 10:56 PM
could be the EH clutch unit froze.