PDA

View Full Version : Trying to install CD Changer bracket..

DABIMR
08-30-2006, 11:44 AM
So, I picked up a 6 disc changer for my E34 off of Ebay recently. For reference, the last few digits of the model number end in 468 014 as far as I can remember (will go to the car during lunch and get the full model numbers).

Anyway, I bought a bracket from the local stealership to mount it in my trunk, but of course it did not come with any instructions and it doesn't look too intuitive.

I already checked Realoem.com but the pics are no real help! Anyone have a diagram/instructions on mounting the brackets?

P.S. I'll also get the model number of the bracket for reference.. TIA.. :)

DABIMR
08-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Anyone?

Russell
08-30-2006, 05:17 PM
Search the archives. I think there was some recent discussion

DABIMR
08-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Search the archives. I think there was some recent discussion
I did, nothing there helped.. I need pictures so I can see exactly how the brackets mount because the pics just don't make any sense..

Anyway the CD Changer part number is 82 11 1468 014.

The parts numbers for the brackets are:

03 BRACKET 1 09/1990 65128351811 $11.49
04 BRACKET 1 09/1990 65128351810 $17.86

The bracket comes with all the necessary screws according to RealOEM and the dealer. And according to RealOEM, these are the right part numbers for my car based on my VIN, so it should be correct, right?

What I need are close-up pics of the CD Changer mounted in someones trunk, preferably with shots of the brackets... HELP!! :p

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-30-2006, 07:29 PM
Just pick a spot and screw away.

DABIMR
08-30-2006, 07:43 PM
Just pick a spot and screw away.
Already looked in the trunk area, I see the holes to screw in the top bracket (it's 2 pieces), but still no way to secure the changer to the bracket, pics people, pics!! :p

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-30-2006, 07:46 PM
changer to the bracket, then the bracket locks onto the flange that is screwed under the rear deck and is locked in with one bolt.

Hope this is the same two piece bracket...

DABIMR
08-30-2006, 07:55 PM
changer to the bracket, then the bracket locks onto the flange that is screwed under the rear deck and is locked in with one bolt.

Hope this is the same two piece bracket...
That sounds about right.. Where to get these machine screws? Can I just go to Home Depot or are they special "dealer-only German" screws? Any particular length? What do I ask for? Sorry for all the questions, just want to get this installed.. Thanks again..

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-30-2006, 08:03 PM
It should have a legend, 8mm max length.

I picked some up at the hardware store, just carry in the cd changer & bracket and go to the metirc bins and find some short ones that fit.

DABIMR
08-30-2006, 08:10 PM
ok, thanks...

saluki540i
08-30-2006, 10:19 PM
Depending on which changer you've got - I'm assuming you have the alpine, like mine. I bought a changer from a guy in GA who was useless about getting the bracket needed to attach the changer to the bracket kit from the dealer or other vendors. Check with the parts guys at the california salvage yard that is in the archives - I don't remember their name. Basically what you need is 2 brackets (one on each side of the changer), and a bracket that covers the width of the changer and allows bolting to the bimmer bracket kit. There are 2 screws, small, fine thread on each end you will need too (4 total). The bimmer bracket kit should include 3 bolts for mounting the bracket to the underside of the decklid, along with 1 bolt, which sandwiches the two plates together.

Russell
08-30-2006, 11:01 PM
There are two changers, one made by alpine, the other made by pioneer. I am not sure, but I think they use different mounting brackets.

I replaced an alpine which was just improperly mounted by directly connecting to the deck lid, I used a two piece mounitng kit as just described for the used pioneer made unit.

632 Regal
08-30-2006, 11:26 PM
just went and looked at mine, it has 2 brackets that are riveted to the parcel shelf and screwed into the changer, dont look like anything else is going on than that.

Paul in NZ
08-31-2006, 02:45 AM
mine had a sony head unit and cd changer as std fitment Large upside U bracket screw to the underside of the parcel shelf and 4 short screws into pre threaded holes in the side of the cd changer

DABIMR
08-31-2006, 07:54 AM
just went and looked at mine, it has 2 brackets that are riveted to the parcel shelf and screwed into the changer, dont look like anything else is going on than that.
That's what I have, two separate brackets. My headunit is a Pioneer (PIO4), and the Changer is an Alpine, 82 11 1 468 014.

Here's RealOEM's representation.. Clicky... (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE53&mospid=47410&btnr=65_0865&hg=65&fg=95&hl=1) Interesting thing is, it looks nothing like that even though the model numbers match! What I have has the sliding door to access the CD's whereas that looks like the flip down door version on some of the older models?

Anyway, I guess I'll get the machine screws as suggested by Blitzkrieg Bob and try it that way. It's weird though, you would think the bracket would come with all the necessary screws and not have to go elsewhere for them?

Russell
08-31-2006, 08:19 AM
FYI-flip down door unit is the rebranded pioneer unit. It is also used on newer models including the 95s. I know as my manual indicates both units and I replaced the alpine with a used pioneer unit which incuded the proper mounting bracket. Wish I could photogrph my mounitng bracket for you today. However I am at my office and also not sure how to post photos.

DABIMR
08-31-2006, 08:32 AM
FYI-flip down door unit is the rebranded pioneer unit. It is also used on newer models including the 95s. I know as my manual indicates both units and I replaced the alpine with a used pioneer unit which incuded the proper mounting bracket. Wish I could photogrph my mounitng bracket for you today. However I am at my office and also not sure how to post photos.
Well, if you have access to a digicam, you can take them and then email them to me.. I will then host it for all to see. Who knows? It might help someone else down the line.. bmrseb@gmail.com

Russell
08-31-2006, 09:39 AM
I will see what I can do today. If not I will use my camera this evening.

DABIMR
08-31-2006, 09:43 AM
Thanks all, for you help!!:) And Christopher M., (not sure what you sn is on the board), thanks again for the PDF installation instructions..:D

Russell
08-31-2006, 06:21 PM
check your mail. Hope it helps.

DABIMR
09-01-2006, 08:26 AM
check your mail. Hope it helps.
Yes, I got it!! I also sent you a copy of the PDF instructions.. Thanks again!!:D