PDA

View Full Version : Ghost in the master window switch???

bigmuthatrucker
08-29-2006, 08:29 PM
I got into the car tonight and the master window switch was dimmly lit.. Is the a short in my window switch.. windows go down fine but I am concerned that there might be a problem here.. I was just going to replace the switch and see from there.. any other ideas>> anyone
cheers
jim

shogun
08-29-2006, 08:58 PM
I am sure you will not replace the switch so easy just assuming something is wrong with it, when you see the price for a new one.
The light(s) inside can be relaced easily, maybe that is just the problem.

What about the other lights in the cluster and other switches? Are they o.k.? If all are dim, check the dimmer switch.

Fetch
08-29-2006, 09:04 PM
The window switches always seem to light up at inappropriate times if I remember correctly. I think I see them light up when I unlock/lock my E34 at night. I know on my E32 they would be lit pretty often too.
They shouldn't be on if you leave your car & it's locked for awhile and you're gone. I'm sure somebody knows what controls them.

bigmuthatrucker
08-29-2006, 09:19 PM
no other switches are lit.. just the master window switch and it is not fully lit just very dimmly..

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-29-2006, 09:35 PM
are lighted, the rears are "Helen Kellers" find by touch

bigmuthatrucker
08-29-2006, 09:39 PM
but they stay lit after I turn off the car.. they are dim however there is something there...

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-29-2006, 09:42 PM
shortly after you exit or double lock

shogun
08-29-2006, 09:56 PM
They are controlled by the GM, and the timing depends on which GM you have, when you double lock or not etc.

And the ones in the rear doors should be lit as well, if the bulbs are not broken, which often is the case. But the lights are not on in the rear when you push the child safety switch in the quattro-button system. Then the rear windows cannot be operated from the rear window switches and the lights are off in these switches.

bigmuthatrucker
08-29-2006, 10:00 PM
well I am going to replace the switch and see if that fixes the problem then if it is still there I will replace the general module..

bigmuthatrucker
08-29-2006, 10:02 PM
so they are supposed to light up when the door opens. Is there anything else supposed to light up? besides the window switches?

Ross
08-30-2006, 08:22 AM
No ghosts, just coffee.

bigmuthatrucker
08-30-2006, 10:36 AM
MMMM coffee Mmmmmmm.... Doughnuts.....:D

tdgard
08-30-2006, 12:44 PM
I would not bother replacing the switch yet. As Shogun stated, the lighting/power to that switch is controlled by the GM. Mine come on when the car is unlocked or door handle is lifted. They also remain on (at a dim level) after turning off the car until a front door is opened. This is so you can roll up the windows or shut the sunroof with the car off. If yous is staying on all the time, I'd suggest looking at your door switches and their relationship with the GM first.

Todd

tdgard
08-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Just the interior lights;)

so they are supposed to light up when the door opens. Is there anything else supposed to light up? besides the window switches?

bigmuthatrucker
08-30-2006, 02:04 PM
ok I just wanted to make sure before I started shelling out some $$$ so after a quick run to the store. When I got back it didnt go off till I opened and closed the door.. now it remains off completly.. Sorry I guess I am just paranoid when I bought the car there was a ton of eletrical problems.. however I think I have everything in working order..... The only thing that I have to replace now to stop the warnings is the front brake wear sensor..
thanks to all..
cheers
jim