PDA

View Full Version : what did i break on the 535i?

BigTed00
08-29-2006, 03:46 PM
I have a 535 running Bilstein shocks with Eibach spings, and recently I have been bottoming out like crazy in the rear. I didnt think much of it until this afternoon when I went out for some spirited driving. When taking corners the ass will slide like **** and it makes a clanking sound similar to bottoming out. What do yall think I broke?

Qube
08-29-2006, 04:02 PM
Have you at least looked or otherwise just did a push down on the corners?

Martin in Bellevue
08-29-2006, 06:25 PM
It seized in the extended position & made the ride very uncomfortable. It was horrible, & I knew what had happened within a mile or so of driving briskly on crappy, but fun, backroads with the entire family in the car.
I've since replaced the front Bilsteins with Sachs struts for a much better ride.

ThoreauHD
08-29-2006, 07:08 PM
The bilsteins have a problem with bleeding fluid out of them, making them pretty useless. Check the shocks/struts. I've found the sachs and kyb's to be fairly reliable. The ride of the sachs are very nice as well.

genphreak
08-29-2006, 09:24 PM
The bilsteins have a problem with bleeding fluid out of them, making them pretty useless. Check the shocks/struts. I've found the sachs and kyb's to be fairly reliable. The ride of the sachs are very nice as well.Most likley the upper mounts have failed. Many are not very strong or perhaps the washers are incorrectly installed- this will cause a prompt failiure of the mount. If the mounts were not replaced, the new shocks would likely send the old ones to their grave much faster. Check them by removing the rear seat cushions (http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/rear_spring_strut/rear_spring_strut.html) and looking under the rubber caps. :) Nick

BillionPa
08-29-2006, 11:17 PM
probably the mounts, but maybe subframe mount failure?

BigTed00
08-29-2006, 11:28 PM
Most likley the upper mounts have failed. Many are not very strong or perhaps the washers are incorrectly installed- this will cause a prompt failiure of the mount. If the mounts were not replaced, the new shocks would likely send the old ones to their grave much faster. Check them by removing the rear seat cushions (http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/rear_spring_strut/rear_spring_strut.html) and looking under the rubber caps. :) Nick

Good call! I remember I busted a RSM back when I had the 328is, and the symptoms were similar. I'll give it a check tomorrow and report back