PDA

View Full Version : OT: How afraid should I be of a Jaguar?

infinity5
08-29-2006, 11:29 AM
I've always heard people talk terribly about jaguars and reliability issues, but i've also heard people talk terribly about BMW and reliability issues.

Anyone know anything about XJS's? Specifically a 1990.
104,000miles, plenty of documented work from one shop that has been serving the car since the present owner purchased it.

tim s
08-29-2006, 11:38 AM
then he told me that the jag that was in 1 of his bays needed 2 & they were almost 3 times the price each.
tim s.

Qube
08-29-2006, 11:53 AM
Hmmm.. where's aston_jag_tech? :)

Ross
08-29-2006, 01:01 PM
If you like I can fax you the volumes of repair receipts from a Jag I once owned, it was only a six which is regarded as reliable by Jaguar standards.
I love the XJS for it's shape and Jags of the era for the interiors etc. Unfortunatly they are poorly built. Fords ownership has only served to remove the cars only redeeming qualities, pedigree and personality.
If you do buy one you will have a firm grip on it because they are VERY difficult to sell.
I was recently tempted again on an XJS, an unrusty desert car, but in a five minute test drive was aware of thousands of dollars in repairs looming. It's a shame but they are just no good.

infinity5
08-29-2006, 01:42 PM
That's too bad. Maybe i'll still arrange a test drive just to see what it's like.

I think he wants a little too much money for it anyway.

If you like I can fax you the volumes of repair receipts from a Jag I once owned, it was only a six which is regarded as reliable by Jaguar standards.
I love the XJS for it's shape and Jags of the era for the interiors etc. Unfortunatly they are poorly built. Fords ownership has only served to remove the cars only redeeming qualities, pedigree and personality.
If you do buy one you will have a firm grip on it because they are VERY difficult to sell.
I was recently tempted again on an XJS, an unrusty desert car, but in a five minute test drive was aware of thousands of dollars in repairs looming. It's a shame but they are just no good.

azale
08-29-2006, 02:00 PM
I've always heard people talk terribly about jaguars . . .

104,000miles, plenty of documented work from one shop . . .

Are there any prices on the documented work? I certainly don't see many old jaguars on the road if that is any indication.

From experience, I was hoping all the naysayers were wrong about Land Rover, then I bought one, now I am one. If the British engineering in my Rover is anything like the engineering in a Jag, run away fast.

Cheap components, bad switches, faded plastic, rust everywhere (even on the aluminum body . . . still trying to figure that one out), electrical problems that will need an exorcism, a window regulator, rear wiper arm, jerry-rigged headlight drainage, and some other weird issues I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Did I mention it's an '03?

I've been trying to sell it for 4 months, just not to any friends of mine.

A buddy of mine owns an '84 XJ6 and needed the rear brakes replaced, which requires the *removal* of the rear axle. I rest my case.

Jay 535i
08-29-2006, 02:09 PM
I LOOOOVE the XJ-S.

Don't compare servicing costs to other cars, because you can't compare the XJ-S to other cars. It is unique, and magnificent at that.

Don't think of it as costing more to maintain than a BMW. Rather, think of it as an amazing, timeless example of Britain's idea of the ultimate GT for less than the cost of a lease on a new Civic.

It's true they didn't put her together right, but that's not her fault. With TLC she will undoubtedly give you your money's worth in enjoyment and pride.

http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/jhb/jhb/pics_jhb/xjs.jpg

Sigh...

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-29-2006, 02:44 PM
something you can spend hours pampering and working on.

V12 has a fuel delivery problem (flame on) with the injection system, and the electrical has a circus of gremlins running through it.

But they are beautiful cars...

shuriken
08-29-2006, 02:53 PM
Not bad for a car first built around '74 odd. V12's are nice but I'm afraid it's British, and I am a Brit! Still a car to behold on the motorway, great presance on the road, and with fuel as cheap as it is over on your side of the pond ecconomical to run!!!!!!!:D

infinity5
08-29-2006, 03:42 PM
I think they're some of the best looking cars out there, i love them too.

Common $ense is probably going to win out over the sexy black v-12 beast though :(

I LOOOOVE the XJ-S.

Don't compare servicing costs to other cars, because you can't compare the XJ-S to other cars. It is unique, and magnificent at that.

Don't think of it as costing more to maintain than a BMW. Rather, think of it as an amazing, timeless example of Britain's idea of the ultimate GT for less than the cost of a lease on a new Civic.

It's true they didn't put her together right, but that's not her fault. With TLC she will undoubtedly give you your money's worth in enjoyment and pride.

Sigh...

Jay 535i
08-29-2006, 03:51 PM
I think they're some of the best looking cars out there, i love them too.

Common $ense is probably going to win out over the sexy black v-12 beast though :(

Shame.

I think Blitzkrieg Bob has the right idea. If you go into it with your eyes open then old Jags are bargains. But if you need something to start every morning and to be in the shop only once or twice a year, maybe it's not for you.

I'll own one someday for sure, but only has a plaything. It's true they're not sensible transport, if that's what you need.

attack eagle
08-29-2006, 04:45 PM
is that the v12 or the 6?

6's are great, v12s are maintenance hogs.

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-29-2006, 04:59 PM
or chevy small blocks

pundit
08-29-2006, 06:42 PM
I've always heard people talk terribly about jaguars and reliability issues, but i've also heard people talk terribly about BMW and reliability issues.

104,000miles, plenty of documented work from one shop that has been serving the car since the present owner purchased it.
From a reliabilty/maintenance/repair cost point of view older Jags (especially V12's) would rank somewhere close to the bottom of the barrel.
This is relfected by their poor resale value.
They are poorly put together and if ever you come across one that has had the dash removed and replaced chances are nothing ever went back in the same way it came out.

Yes BMW 7 series V12's have their share of problems, but I'd take one of those over a XJS any day!

In a nutshell you'd have to be a sucker for punshment, with a lot of patience and a fat bank account!

aston_jag_tech
08-29-2006, 08:25 PM
Hmmm.. where's aston_jag_tech? :)
HII!!:D

gale
08-29-2006, 08:31 PM
Check the link below & download Kirby Palm's .doc file "Experience in a Book". It specifically documents most items for the XJ-S. They are very rewarding cars when kept in good shape, but have numerous quirks. I forget the exact year but somewhere in the late-80's they got their act together and a 90 should be a good specimen. They got rid of the "Prince of Darkness" Lucas crap and went to Bosch. They subbed out the heads to Porsche for re-design and the later ones run 11:1 compression on unleaded & get much better (relatively) mileage.

http://www.nettally.com/palmk/jaguar.html

Reviewing the maintenance records should give you some idea of what to expect but won't be the whole story. With the XJ-S, get the latest year (newest) you can afford. A friend of mine has owned 2 of them and his 89 is a keeper. It has had it's share of issues but he's always been able to fix it himself.

Download Kirby's book. Do not buy an XJ-S without first knowing what you're getting into. Consider it like having an autistic supermodel for a girlfriend -- lots of fun but high maintenance.

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-29-2006, 08:38 PM
cool...

I was thinking more like a Bi polar nymphomanic

aston_jag_tech
08-29-2006, 08:43 PM
Man why are we talking about a XJ-S. Some of them are pretty attractive but the one Jay 535i posted is not(No Offense by the way.
Speaking of problems, I have seen Window switches(easy to replace and Diag.These switches carry all of the elec load too. thats why they fail, get very hot on contacts.) Front shock mount bushings(fairly easy to replace with a lift.)
Coolant hoses on V-12s are a bear.
Front Subframe V-mounts-fairly easy because you support the engine up top and then you can loosen the entire subframe and swing it from the back roward because the front mounts are vertical circular bushings;).
They all leak pretty bad from the P/S hoses and the pump itself.
A/C compressors fail sometimes on the V-12s ive seen. Very expensive.
V-12s are a hassle and easy the "flame on" :) Never seen but heard it IS true.
Man what else....yeah the Inboard brake setup, does require removing subframe.
A/C evap requires entire dash removal. And!! they are two supporting brackets for the evap that bolt to the chassis floor. If they are not in the exact position its possible that the evap may crack over time. The vents blower system is very strange, two blowers, connected with a silicone hose(2 outputs, very hard to get back into place after removing to inspect a/c evap for leaks.
Never had any parasitic drains, no major elec problems(most of the wiring mishaps come from rodents in the engine bay.

The inline 6 is great minor leaks from cam cover gasket.
All the inline 6s are prone to the exhuast manifolds cracking(vertical crack inbetween cyl 2 and 3 exhaust ports and 4 and 5 ex. ports.) You really have to worry about it when you see black soot.
XJ-S steering radius is horrible, reminds me of a long bed crew cab truck
Alignment for them can take alot of time if camber caster needs adjustment.

There is probably more, but lets start with this.

I also dont really like these cars(older generation) I do like the 95 and up XJ sedans though!!

Gayle
08-29-2006, 10:02 PM
They make nice pet cars--something you can spend hours pampering and working on.

Consider it like having an autistic supermodel for a girlfriend -- lots of fun but high maintenance.

You guys are cracking me up. I always love the discussions about the philosophy of car ownership. These comments are priceless.

Ross
08-30-2006, 08:17 AM
Series 1 XKE! I would gladly grind valve shims for eternity to own one.

Ross
08-30-2006, 08:53 AM
Man why are we talking about a XJ-S. Some of them are pretty attractive but the one Jay 535i posted is not(No Offense by the way.
Speaking of problems, I have seen Window switches(easy to replace and Diag.These switches carry all of the elec load too. thats why they fail, get very hot on contacts.) Front shock mount bushings(fairly easy to replace with a lift.)
Coolant hoses on V-12s are a bear.
Front Subframe V-mounts-fairly easy because you support the engine up top and then you can loosen the entire subframe and swing it from the back roward because the front mounts are vertical circular bushings;).
They all leak pretty bad from the P/S hoses and the pump itself.
A/C compressors fail sometimes on the V-12s ive seen. Very expensive.
V-12s are a hassle and easy the "flame on" :) Never seen but heard it IS true.
Man what else....yeah the Inboard brake setup, does require removing subframe.
A/C evap requires entire dash removal. And!! they are two supporting brackets for the evap that bolt to the chassis floor. If they are not in the exact position its possible that the evap may crack over time. The vents blower system is very strange, two blowers, connected with a silicone hose(2 outputs, very hard to get back into place after removing to inspect a/c evap for leaks.
Never had any parasitic drains, no major elec problems(most of the wiring mishaps come from rodents in the engine bay.

The inline 6 is great minor leaks from cam cover gasket.
All the inline 6s are prone to the exhuast manifolds cracking(vertical crack inbetween cyl 2 and 3 exhaust ports and 4 and 5 ex. ports.) You really have to worry about it when you see black soot.
XJ-S steering radius is horrible, reminds me of a long bed crew cab truck
Alignment for them can take alot of time if camber caster needs adjustment.

There is probably more, but lets start with this.

I also dont really like these cars(older generation) I do like the 95 and up XJ sedans though!!

I got the itch to go looking again and found an XJS conv. for sale. In the description the seller lists all the new stuff, one line reads:new fuse for power top!! I'm not making this up. Thought you might appreciate it.
Greeting from near Wisconsin.
Ross

aston_jag_tech
08-31-2006, 12:19 AM
My personal opinion the newer Jags are far better than what they were. I love the XJs. They dont have serious problems like others. S-Type(03 post) Very great car. X-Type-CRAP!
XKs pre 2007 great car to replace a XJ-S but too small inside for me.
New XK "Gorgeous" (Did you see that one coming??? :)

Traian
08-31-2006, 07:57 AM
aston_jag_tech, what's your experience with the XJ40? I've always liked the shape (I mean, I like the older bodies even more, but for the price...) and the V12. Is ~150,000km considered low for them, a lot,...? Anything really expensive/complicated that goes on them?

bit OT: I like the new Jags as well, I think Ford has done a great job with them, the XJs in particular.

aston_jag_tech
09-02-2006, 12:23 AM
aston_jag_tech, what's your experience with the XJ40? I've always liked the shape (I mean, I like the older bodies even more, but for the price...) and the V12. Is ~150,000km considered low for them, a lot,...? Anything really expensive/complicated that goes on them?

bit OT: I like the new Jags as well, I think Ford has done a great job with them, the XJs in particular.

XJ-40 not too experienced. Recently I have down front subframe rear bushings(Major Bitch with the right tools) Brakes, exhuast manifolds, water pump. This specific car had about 220k and it ran fairly well. Smooth idle but no power really, we suspected clogged cats. But they are pretty decent cars if maintained as far as my foreman tells me.

Since its a Jag, parts are going to more expensive since they are now older. Imentioned some of the common problems on this thread about XJ-S and they are kind of similar. Im more experienced with the 97XK 2000 S-Type X Type 97 XJ models and newer. Thats what I see more and information on our network is available.

Paul in NZ
09-02-2006, 12:53 AM
there can be only one
Mk 2 3.4 manual wire wheels and overdrive.