PDA

View Full Version : Very pisssssst off

dcbimmer
08-29-2006, 09:52 AM
Just had my mechanic call me to say that my eml unit is bad which is causing a idle problem with my car. Is this true? I'm starting to question my mechanics ability. He also told me that I would cost about three grand to fix my problem. That includes the a throttle body I might also need. Anyone have a clue to why my car idles around 500 rpms?

Fetch
08-29-2006, 09:57 AM
well, what kind of car do you have?

dcbimmer
08-29-2006, 10:30 AM
I have a 1991 5351 auto

shogun
08-29-2006, 10:58 AM
The EML controls the idle speed, but there are many other factors which also influence the EML.
What has been done so far?
Cleaning the throttling valve, maybe it is dirty and therefore the idle speed is not correct. See my website below.
MAF working correctly?
Did they make a diagnosis readout?
To say the EML is defective, is always the black box 'excuse'. Usually the EML is very seldom defective.
But to me your problem is also not quite clear.
http://www.europeantransmissions.com/Bulletin/DTC.BMW/EML-BMW.pdf

Can you pls explain more in detail?

PS: pls complete your profile with the car data, that helps us to help you.

632 Regal
08-29-2006, 11:34 AM
your mechanic is a scam. fill out your profile.

send me 3 grand and I'll personally fix it.

three grand to fix my problem. That includes the a throttle body

dcbimmer
08-29-2006, 12:36 PM
Here an explaination to what happens. About a week ago I started my car and it cut off imediatly. When I restarted it my whole dash stopped working My speedo tach and all gauges. I turned the car off and started but the gauges never recovered. Thats when I noticed the Idle problem. My car when started only idles at 500rpms. After driving for awhile and letting the car sit. I started it and everything worked except the display in the dash. What I mean is the oil service indicater nor does it show the Gear indicator which shows any light failures or check engine stuff. Every now and then when I start the car if it doesn't start on the first try my gauges will fail. I checked fuses but couldn't find any that were bad. Hope this helps!!!!!

shogun
08-29-2006, 09:05 PM
The problem is not the EML, that is clear to me.
Because if the cluster does not work, the EML light in the cluster does not come on for 2 seconds, so the EML module notices that = limpmode.
Then the gear and the shift mode is not indicated in the cluster, so the EML does not get any feed back = limp mode.

Get the cluster running again, no need to replace the EML.
Take it out, remove all plugs from the back and spray them with electric contact spray. Remove the CCM, do the same. Then insert all and see what is going on. Check the ground wires for the cluster.

And PLEASE, complete your profile with all relevant car data. And mention with EML, because that is important, and best is your VIN, otherwise we cannot help you more in detail.

gmannino
08-29-2006, 09:37 PM
You can buy a perfectly running used engine for half the price.

shogun
08-30-2006, 07:24 AM
As you do not understand why we ask for more info and / or are not willing to do this, please read this

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=20424&highlight=answer

dcbimmer
08-30-2006, 09:09 AM
Profile updated Sorry about the delay just feeling my way around

dcbimmer
08-30-2006, 09:17 AM
Shogun I have updated my profile can you tell me what a CCM is? Also when I pull my cluster out should I spray all of the bulbs too?

shogun
08-30-2006, 09:47 AM
The CCM is the Check Control Module. Look here, it sits in the engine room, driver side, under the black cover in the engine room close to the windshield.
Just pull it out, there is no release clip. Might be a bit hard.
http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/fusebox.jpg

Maybe you check the bulbs, but I cannot imagine that all bulbs at one time have no contact, that must be something different.
Pull the CCM out , spray with good contact cleaner for electronics, wiggle it a bit, might help.
Here is how to get the cluster out
http://www.bimmernut.com/~billr/images/airBagAndBulbs_files/airBagAndBulbs.html
Without airbag here
http://bmwe32.masscom.net/sean750/dash_bulbs/changingClusterBulbs.htm

Let us know if there is any change then.

dcbimmer
08-30-2006, 02:05 PM
Ok here's a upddate. On close inspection you can see the digital stuff from the on board diag but the light is very very dim. I can also see the read out of the gear selector. I removed the CCM clean the terminals and replaced. I then started the car and the idle was correct for a moment. All of the lights from the oil service light gear indicator are still very very dim. If you watch the diag you can see something that says Check Control. Any thoughts?

dcbimmer
08-30-2006, 02:07 PM
Ok here's a upddate. On close inspection you can see the digital stuff from the on board diag but the light is very very dim. I can also see the read out of the gear selector. I removed the CCM clean the terminals and replaced. I then started the car and the idle was correct for a moment. All of the lights from the oil service light gear indicator are still very very dim. If you watch the diag you can see something that says Check Control. Any thoughts?

ricola
08-30-2006, 02:37 PM
Wish I could help. I'm still on a learning curve here. But I'm watching this closely. Interesting puzzle.

BillionPa
08-30-2006, 04:45 PM
sounds like the CCM is toast? or is there a fuse that controls the CCM?... OR..... the same thing happening to the CCM that happens to the LKM (resolder fix it solution?)

shogun
08-30-2006, 08:15 PM
You see check control?
Go to my website and see under

Procedure for Acquiring Flash Codes from your BMW (Stomp-Test)

Make a stomp test and see what comes out.

Maybe someone with good electric knowledge can have a look in the wiring diagrams.

ThoreauHD
08-30-2006, 09:34 PM
I just replaced mine. It's 180 bucks new, 90 used.

dcbimmer
08-30-2006, 09:43 PM
Here's another update. I swapped the CCM from my buddy's 535 and the problem still exists. I also placed my CCM into my friends car and everything worked just fine. Also I noticed that my AC isn't working. When you turn it on the green light flashes and the it goes off. More drama. Any Ideas?

shogun
08-30-2006, 09:58 PM
It looks to me that you have a problem with a wire connection. The same problem I had about 8 months ago. Suddenly the blower fan did not stop, the engine was in limpmode, the cluster went crazy, 1 door did not lock and the car could only drive maybe 10 mph.
As I have a lot of spare parts, I changed: MOTRONIC's, EML, GM, sword, CCM, RM, the cluster complete and it still was the same problem. Diagnosis only said no diagnosis possible.

All wires were checked in the engine management between the ECU's and the X20 and X21 and the diagnosis box.
It finally turned out that 2 wires in the main engine wire loom slipped out of their sockets. Could be the same in your case, or a broken wire or a corroded pin
If you know about electrics, try to measure that all. Or go to a shop which has a good electric engineer which can test that based on the wiring diagrams of BMW.
For sure it is a small matter, but difficult to find for someone who is no expert in electrics/electronics.

dcbimmer
09-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Latest update on further inspection I'm also having a problem with my AC not turning on it just goes green for a half of second and turns off. So does my rear window defogger and the air recycle switch. Anyone know why that is happening?

Jehu
09-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Seems like the previous post hit about as close as you could hope to get on a message board.