PDA

View Full Version : Where to get H1 bulb "holder inners" or "retainers"

Jon K
08-28-2006, 09:23 AM
You guys with H1 lights, know the metal paperclip looking wire clips/holders that keep the bulb pressed in the housing? Well while building my car I lost one and now I have a ghetto fog light - can someone tell me where to get these things?!

TheEndIsNear
08-28-2006, 09:30 AM
Jon, I'm in the same boat with one of my fog lights. I'm planning a short trip up to the BMW wrecking yard up in Seattle, I'll try to grab you a set of retainers...

Jon K
08-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Thanks Josh - will a US wrecker have H1 retainers tho?

TheEndIsNear
08-28-2006, 09:39 AM
My 525i has H1 bulbs for the fog lights and this yard is a Euro lot that only deals in Mercedes Benz, BMW, Volvo, Fiat, and Saab. See I need those clips and the housing that comes off the harness as well... Sombody f*cked with my baby...

Qube
08-28-2006, 10:24 AM
Probably $80 a set from the dealer ;)

Yeah though, a wreck is your best bet. They are 'somewhat' generic so you can pull it from any standard H1 lamp.

Ross
08-28-2006, 10:43 AM
Jon,
You have made your own turbo manifold,devised an ignition system and a bunch of other clever stuff. Am I to believe a wire clip is beyond your fabrication skills?
Had to bust your balls, this sounded pretty silly coming from you.

rockyfeller
08-28-2006, 12:08 PM
I once fabricated one out of stiff wire (actually a hanger) and some pliers. Not fun but it worked.

SC David
08-28-2006, 05:04 PM
I hate those stupid things. They're such a bitch to put back together for a quick bulb change when you're under the car.

Nick.Hay
08-28-2006, 07:41 PM
I had this happen to one of my low-beams!! I had to steal one from one of my fog lights!!

TheEndIsNear
08-28-2006, 09:30 PM
Well 6 wrecking yards later... And still at step one... Both me and Jon are looking for the same part... Every e34 I looked at today was a front end collision... One auto wrecker said it was because of DWO...

Jon K
08-28-2006, 11:53 PM
Jon,
You have made your own turbo manifold,devised an ignition system and a bunch of other clever stuff. Am I to believe a wire clip is beyond your fabrication skills?
Had to bust your balls, this sounded pretty silly coming from you.

I've done this - it doesnt last. The bent wire I used tends to weaken as its bent, so the clip isn't so strong. Then my bulb jiggles and **** and so I'd really just rather prefer a proper clip - not to mention I am at school now so all my "make cool ****" stuff is at home.

Ross
08-29-2006, 08:06 AM
FYI H-1 bulbs are in a lot of handheld spotlights too, so if you have one around perhaps you could borrow it.