PDA

View Full Version : Went to a normal tire shop to get 2 tyres swapped, or so I thought...

genphreak
08-28-2006, 05:03 AM
Hey y'all,

Here's a story about a tire (tyre) shop some of you might enjoy (?)

I was taking my mum down to her local shops (a sleepy but nice country town in Eastern Australia)- the sort of country where you get rocks, parrots, roos, horses, cows, mountains (rare in Australia) and people flattening it...

We were going 'downtown' as she has just had two bionic knees installed to replace her (now) worn out ones. Last one was done 2 weeks before, so now she's up and about and wants to go to the bank. Population is about 2500, but Saturday is not as busy as weekedays here, excepting the steady flow of tourists (like me) who come for the drive, the cool and the fresh air. It is one of the only towns in the Country you can get a really decent cup of coffee.

There is only one person inside the Bank that I can see, and she is staff. As we go in I notice the guys at the tyre shop over the road- they are not doing a great deal either. Hmm me thinks, I need those rear tyres spun round...

So I head over and ask how much it'd be to swap my rear tyres around. For those that don't know, e34s wear tyres on the inside when they are lowered. One really needs M5 trailing arms and bushes.

Weary of the way things can go at the tyre shop, I can't argue that they confirm that they will;
pull the rear wheels
spin the tyres
balance the wheels and use stick on weights on the inside
and put em back on
(with the direction of the tyres round the right way)All for $20. Wow! Not bad. Too good to be true maybe (thnking of all the awful tyre shop stories I've read on the boards)

So then comes the time to leave the key and come back in '10 mins' (Concerned look; I don't leave my car anywhere unsupervised). But in the country you have to trust people. It's just the way its done.

Off I go. I come back 10 minutes later (I don't want my Style 9s hit with hammers).

Well they aren't through but they are doing the right thing. One of the guys is working on a tractor wheel, the other balancing my rims.

Heidi is where I left her, but they lifted her up on the lift to take the rims off. They even chcked her properly. Impressed, I am.

I get to have a quick look at her underside, a view I have all the more trouble seeing as she is so low now the 540 M-Tek springs are in. So now for the surprise-

The tyre guy doesn't just do what he was told. He comes over and confirms with me how they are to go back on. But get this, has noticed that they are directional rims, and he is asking if he can pull the spare as three of the rims I was running were clockwise rims. He wanted to pull the other out and get them all round the right way. WoW!

So now I am thinking this can't be happening, it can't be true. For sure somehting will go wrong and a hammer will be taken to my baby...

So they put the rims on, button her up- and out comes the air ratchet.
(O well I sigh...) but not so fast...

After the nuts are all on, he then takes out a nice looking torque wrench and checks each one!!!!

I pay my $20, have a chat with the owner and compliment him on the best damn tyre shop I've ever seen... Any of you NSW people want to get a good tyre service just ask and I'll tell you where to go for a nice weekend drive! It's a bit far to come for those members state-side though... :( Nick

Paul in NZ
08-28-2006, 05:10 AM
its really reallynice isnt it when you find a giy who knows.The guy where i go always makes a point of coming over to see me,if the car is really clean he always says"cars lookin Nice Paul",always puts weights on the inside and tourques the wheels himself after the young fellas have done the donkey work
he always has stock BMW wheels for sale,and even has leant me a set of said stockers when my wheels had to go get straightened.

TheEndIsNear
08-28-2006, 10:03 AM
Wow, wish I could find that here...

GoldenOne
08-28-2006, 10:21 AM

same here, i will never look at tire shops the same again...

mamilapon
08-28-2006, 05:39 PM
So where is that place mate?

GJPinAU
08-28-2006, 06:38 PM
OK Nick, on the count of 3 we're gunna wake up.
Ready?
1, 2 . . .

rob101
08-28-2006, 07:45 PM
After the nuts are all on, he then takes out a nice looking torque wrench and checks each one!!!!

not to burst your bubble but did he do the final tightening with the wrench or just "check" them

Thayne
08-28-2006, 07:53 PM

Same here. I hate going to tire shops.

RobE34
08-29-2006, 02:52 AM
Nice to hear.
I had a similar experience in a Queensland town named Gatton last Xmas. Had a set of OEM BBS fiitted. The head Honcho hand tightened the wheel nuts then use the tension wrench. Guess who got a carton of beer for Xmas?
It must be a backwater town Gen... a bank open on Saturday???

Thayne
08-29-2006, 03:08 AM
Nice to hear.
I had a similar experience in a Queensland town named Gatton last Xmas. Had a set of OEM BBS fiitted. The head Honcho hand tightened the wheel nuts then use the tension wrench. Guess who got a carton of beer for Xmas?
It must be a backwater town Gen... a bank open on Saturday???

I wish I could find a place here. I am in the city so its hard to find places like the ones you described. :(

mattyb
08-29-2006, 03:49 AM
sounds like the kind of sevice attitiude my father in law practiced as a country mechanic for 60 years. he retired finally 8 weeks ago and his customers now turn up at the farm for a cup of tea hoping that he'll just have a quick look at it to make she's all ok!

genphreak
08-29-2006, 07:33 AM
not to burst your bubble but did he do the final tightening with the wrench or just "check" themHehhe, you are a suspicious soul my friend- when we grow up people like us may be described by people that know us as 'sceptics'... well I hope so anyway :)

Rob come on- that would be just lame! But to answer your question I'll humour you (as the thought did go trhough my mind too :D): a few he didn't have to tighten them too far, but on others a bit further. The ratchet wasn't turned up too high from best as I could tell.

:) Nick

genphreak
08-29-2006, 07:37 AM
OK Nick, on the count of 3 we're gunna wake up.
Ready? 1, 2 . . . Hahahhaha :D (just pinched myself)

I was just sleep-posting Greg. Hahhhahaaa! Dreaming of the perfect trip to a tyre shop! It was just short of the a busty barista with a frothy milk jug and a warm group-handle, offering a smooth cup of Kenya's finest... <chuckles>

genphreak
08-29-2006, 07:40 AM
sounds like the kind of sevice attitiude my father in law practiced as a country mechanic for 60 years. he retired finally 8 weeks ago and his customers now turn up at the farm for a cup of tea hoping that he'll just have a quick look at it to make she's all ok!Heh, perhaps it is. One day when I next have a problem at mum's place I might find out about the locals some more in a quest for an odd-sized socket or somehting. Been too busy to do so yet, she's only lived up there for a few years now.

btw people, I'm talking about Gloucester (http://www.gloucester.org.au/), NSW. I should have put it in the post. And here's the place, JIC any of you ever get by there- it comes well recommended of course :)

Gloucester Battery & Tyre Service

Address: 97 Church Street
Town/Region: Gloucester
Post Code: 2422
State: NSW
Phone: 02 6558 1865
Fax: 02 6558 1865

http://www.midacmedia.com/InterShop21/pics/glo-vic_0a.jpg

It didn't look it, but the place may be kind of special (rare); the fellow that ran it talked to me about an ex-race e9 CSL he missed out on buying a few years back. He's no Bimmer head, he's more of a real racing car man, so understands the value of such cars in more ways than most amongst us do.

Ross
08-29-2006, 08:45 AM
Rob makes a good point here. "Checking" them after tightening with a gun only verifies the nuts are AT LEAST xx tight.

Zeuk in Oz
08-29-2006, 05:56 PM
Hehhe, you are a suspicious soul my friend- when we grow up people like us may be described by people that know us as 'sceptics'... well I hope so anyway :) Nick

Just for your information, Nick, some of us are already old enough to be classified, and I can assure you we sceptics are the best of the bunch. That and pedants............ :D

Life, you've just got to love it ! :)

rob101
08-29-2006, 06:02 PM
Hehhe, you are a suspicious soul my friend- when we grow up people like us may be described by people that know us as 'sceptics'... well I hope so anyway :)

Rob come on- that would be just lame! But to answer your question I'll humour you (as the thought did go trhough my mind too :D): a few he didn't have to tighten them too far, but on others a bit further. The ratchet wasn't turned up too high from best as I could tell.

well as soon as i hear impact wrench i think overtightening. its a natural response given the high accuracy of rattle guns (+/- 50%)
and no i am not joking i had to research this lately as we are looking at pneumatic torque wrenches (+/- 10%) (and no impact)
fortunately i have a good mechanic down the road from me the problem is
its hard to get a spot in his garage. i guess doing a roaring business is a serious drawback to being a good mechanic:p

PS kenya makes good coffee? i prefer south american (colombian)

TC535i
08-29-2006, 06:51 PM
Went to an alignment shop like that after I installed the coilovers on my supercharged 318.

Told the guy what I did up front (installed 96+ M3 camber plates on the "wrong" sides, for more negative camber) should give me about -3 degrees on each side, and I wanted the rears adjusted to about .5 less. Slight toe in up front, and a bit more in the rear.

Come back, he hands me my keys and a printout. Front right around -3 each, rears right around -2.5, .10 deg total toe in up front, and around .4 deg total in the back.

I was VERY impressed. Owner races several cars at local tracks I run at, very cool guys. They do normal alignments all day (bread and butter), but they did great custom work on my car to my specs, and the price was reasonable ($90).

Very refreshing, when all you get is **** service anywhere you go nowadays...