PDA

View Full Version : E34 535i - 1990, 135,000 miles North America - Problems with gauges

Martin M
08-27-2006, 04:12 PM
All the gauges in th instrument cluster have stopped working. The fuse is OK. Is there a module or something else that I should be checking?

Robin-535im
08-27-2006, 11:26 PM
All the gauges in th instrument cluster have stopped working. The fuse is OK. Is there a module or something else that I should be checking?
Never been there myself but it sounds like it could be the capacitors in the cluster. Have you looked at Bruno's page to see if that matches your symptoms?

Remember to disconnect the battery if you pull the steering wheel... can't reset the SRS light w/o a trip to the dealer.

HTH

- Robin

vermagnussen
08-29-2006, 01:29 AM
Not sure if this will help but, but I had the same problem with my E30 325is. Turned out to be the circuit board that controlled the cluster was bad. Since the board was right under the dash it endured alot of extreme heating and cooling and eventually developed micro cracks that caused my instruments to begin working intermittently then eventually stop working altogether.

Again, not sure if they used the same setup or something analogous in the E34's but if you're lost it might be something to check into.

Martin M
08-29-2006, 09:57 AM
[
Thanks much I checked Bruno's page. My problem appears similar to his. I sprayed the contacts points at the back of instrument cluster with Deoxit and all the gauges are now working fine. Appreciate

QUOTE=Robin-535im]Never been there myself but it sounds like it could be the capacitors in the cluster. Have you looked at Bruno's page to see if that matches your symptoms?

Remember to disconnect the battery if you pull the steering wheel... can't reset the SRS light w/o a trip to the dealer.

HTH

- Robin[/QUOTE]