PDA

View Full Version : Trans position indicator intermittant

av8r
08-27-2006, 11:48 AM
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise. The readout for the position comes and goes with no regularity. Searched the forums and couldn't find anything.
Chris
95 530i m60, 1975 cessna 172m

DaveVoorhis
08-27-2006, 12:38 PM
I'd suspect the transmission position switch. It's easily accessible if you remove the shift lever handle and the console cover. Try disassembling it and cleaning the contacts and tracks with electrical contact cleaner. If that doesn't do it, it probably needs a new switch.

av8r
08-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Dave,
I cant seem to be able to get the forward screw out. There is a pressed in/shear bolt that will not allow me to get to it. Any ideas?
Chris

DaveVoorhis
08-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Sorry, not sure what screw you're referring to. Can you identify it by number on here?
http://realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/y/j/13.png

av8r
08-27-2006, 01:00 PM
Its number 8 bit there is one in front.
chris

DaveVoorhis
08-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Is something in the way of #8, or does #8 just spin, or otherwise not want to come out?

av8r
08-27-2006, 01:11 PM
The steel part that connects to the pin. It is actually the pin that is above the screw.
Chris

DaveVoorhis
08-27-2006, 01:16 PM
You mean #5? Can you pop the circlip off the end of it? A screwdriver or knife blade should pry it off.

Alternatively, you could try spraying contact cleaner into the switch where it sits. It won't help if the switch has corroded, melted, or fallen apart inside, but it will help if it's just a bit of oxidisation.

av8r
08-27-2006, 01:33 PM
You mean #5? Can you pop the circlip off the end of it? A screwdriver or knife blade should pry it off.

Alternatively, you could try spraying contact cleaner into the switch where it sits. It won't help if the switch has corroded, melted, or fallen apart inside, but it will help if it's just a bit of oxidisation.

here is a picture of the problem.
Chris

DaveVoorhis
08-27-2006, 01:43 PM
Ah. I see. I take it the pin doesn't want to back out of the aluminium? A ball-end Allen wrench might be able to get past it.

av8r
08-27-2006, 01:47 PM
Tried that. I can belive they have a shear pin in that area. I don't wan't to start banging on it for fear of cracking somehting.
Any other ideas?
chris

DaveVoorhis
08-27-2006, 01:53 PM
I'm afraid I don't have any more ideas. My 525i doesn't have a pin there. If it were me, I'd try spraying contact cleaner into the switch where it sits, and if that doesn't work and there's no way to disassemble around it and get access to that screw, I'd be trying to push out the pin. Carefully.

av8r
08-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Ok,
I cut off the bolt(another one to order) and took out the switch. It was very nasty to say the least. Checked all the continuity and it checks ok. Put it back on and still no luck, however when shifting i can hear what sounds like a relay behind the instrument cluster. Any ideas on this. Are there controlling relays that go bad?
Chris

DaveVoorhis
08-27-2006, 08:33 PM
I'm not aware of any relay in the instrument cluster that would be related to the indicator, but I can't say for sure. I'm referring to a '90 535i wiring diagram that I have handy (don't have a 95 530i diagram handy, but can probably find one), and the switch leads are connected directly to the instrument panel, with taps for the transmission control unit.

If you're sure the switch is good (I assume you've operated it while electrically connected, but not mounted to the lever), then I'd check the wiring and verify that the bulb behind the indicator is good. It's possible that the position indicator is working fine, but not being illuminated. If the bulb is good, verify that voltage is getting to the four instrument panel connectors (pins 4, 5, 6 and 11 on the '90 E34) for each of the transmission positions.

If that isn't it, I'd suspect a problem with the instrument panel itself.