PDA

View Full Version : Jesus/God/Higher Power hates me.

boardburton
08-27-2006, 11:11 AM
Whoever you pray to, be it God, Allah, Buddha, Satan, whatever, hates me.

I had my clutch replaced. $266 parts, $500 labor

Then clutch slave cylinder. $50 parts + labor

Then clutch failed again and had to replace flywheel. $700 parts, labor free since first clutch replace fail.

Drove it for TWO DAYS after having clutch + flywheel replaced. Not driving hard or anything. when i left my gf's house i started the engine and gassed it. just revved up to about 4k rpm, let it roll. It started smoking. Stopped it opened the hood. A little bit of smoke came out.

Engine will still start but revs up then almost dies then revs up then almost dies if idling. It also makes a strange popping noise like gas is leaking into the exhaust manifold then exploding inside.

I'm thinking about selling my beamer and buying some ricer like a prelude.
I never thought I would say that.

Gayle
08-27-2006, 12:35 PM
EMERGENCY! Newbie about to lose the faith (in bmws) and jump ship.

WILL SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY KNOWS SOMETHING GIVE THIS GUY SOME SUGGESTIONS ON HIS CURRENT PROBLEM.

Boardburton--I know nothing about clutches and fly wheels but I have been around e34s for 6 years and am of the opinion that if you are not doing the work yourself it is going to cost $2,000 per year to keep it on the road. It is worth every penny of that $2,000. I am also of the opinion that it costs that much to keep any bmw, not just e34s on the road, once they are out of warranty. If you don't go into bmw ownership excepting that, the repair charges cause serious sticker shock.

BTW--your thread title, while clever, is not going to get you as much help as one that announced the problem like "new clutch/flywheel just died again".

Keep the faith. People here will help you get through this.

ThoreauHD
08-27-2006, 01:00 PM
At 180K miles, I would think any cars clutch would fail. Including a Honda. Nobody hates you. It just called maintenance.

As far as the engine goes, it doesn't sound too bad, but you will need to have it diagnosed by a indy. He can grab the error codes and fix the issue right quick. And with the visible symptoms, it'll be a quick diagnosis.

632 Regal
08-27-2006, 01:11 PM
a vacume hose probably slipped off. they might have bumped it making it loose and now its all the way off.

it's simple, dont freak out. go peek around a bit.

BillionPa
08-27-2006, 09:29 PM
could you see where on the engine the smoke came from?

boardburton
08-27-2006, 09:35 PM
right from under what i believe to be the intake manifold.
(the part that is across from the 6 spark plugs beside the engine cover that the throttle body and intake attach to.

91m5
08-27-2006, 09:38 PM
What ever you buy burton , check it out better.sounds like the Bimmer needed some over due maintenance.Just like a Prelude would...check em out and NEVER buy site unseen(web).I do this for $$$ Good luck;)
Whoever you pray to, be it God, Allah, Buddha, Satan, whatever, hates me.

I had my clutch replaced. $266 parts, $500 labor

Then clutch slave cylinder. $50 parts + labor

Then clutch failed again and had to replace flywheel. $700 parts, labor free since first clutch replace fail.

Drove it for TWO DAYS after having clutch + flywheel replaced. Not driving hard or anything. when i left my gf's house i started the engine and gassed it. just revved up to about 4k rpm, let it roll. It started smoking. Stopped it opened the hood. A little bit of smoke came out.

Engine will still start but revs up then almost dies then revs up then almost dies if idling. It also makes a strange popping noise like gas is leaking into the exhaust manifold then exploding inside.

I'm thinking about selling my beamer and buying some ricer like a prelude.
I never thought I would say that.

Gayle
08-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Almost all e34s have over due maintainence unless you buy from an anal enthusiast. It comes with the territory. But the point is well made. The ricer you would trade for may have overdue maintainence.

632 Regal
08-28-2006, 12:46 AM
ricers dont need maintenance :D
edit: Im an enthusiast too :D :D lmao
Almost all e34s have over due maintainence unless you buy from an anal enthusiast. It comes with the territory. But the point is well made. The ricer you would trade for may have overdue maintainence.

Gayle
08-28-2006, 01:07 AM
ricers dont need maintenance :D
edit: Im an enthusiast too :D :D lmao

And any one of us would be lucky to be able to buy your enthusiast maintained e34.

632 Regal
08-28-2006, 01:10 AM
thanks, but not for sale. Cant replace it in the pristine condition it is in.. (not counting the paint job needed).
And any one of us would be lucky to be able to buy your enthusiast maintained e34.

Espen
08-28-2006, 01:59 AM
I guess you have a broken lambda/ o2 sensor, its connected to the exhaust right by your gearbox, its not impossible something happened to it while your mechanic had the gearbox down to change the flywheel.

Digita1 Ecstasy
08-28-2006, 03:22 AM
EMERGENCY! Newbie about to lose the faith (in bmws) and jump ship.

WILL SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY KNOWS SOMETHING GIVE THIS GUY SOME SUGGESTIONS ON HIS CURRENT PROBLEM.

I dont mean to be rude at all but, Why are you calling him a newbie? I just dont understand the use of the word when right after it your calling for someone who actually 'knows' something to come forward. And its not like all BMW shops do stellar work, the only thing garunteed by a bmw dealership shop is overpricing. But yeah.

DaveVoorhis
08-28-2006, 08:34 AM
I dont mean to be rude at all but, Why are you calling him a newbie? I just dont understand the use of the word when right after it your calling for someone who actually 'knows' something to come forward. And its not like all BMW shops do stellar work, the only thing garunteed by a bmw dealership shop is overpricing. But yeah.
Methinks there's a minor misinterpretation of Gayle's post. First, I believe she referred to the original poster as a noob because he's only made 41 posts and has been here since April, as opposed to the old-timers who have made thousands of posts and have been around since the beginning of time. Second, Gayle was referring to herself as lacking in technical knowledge, not the original poster.

Robin-535im
08-28-2006, 08:54 AM
... an anal enthusiast ...

Is that the new PC correct term for "gay"? Like "coctail enthusiast" instead of "alcoholic"?

angrypancake
08-28-2006, 09:01 AM
an anal enthusiast.

heh heh heh

Gayle
08-28-2006, 09:30 AM

Are you another screen name created by one of the regulars? Just a little suspicious since this is your first post, your info is vague, that is an interesting sig pic, and most people don't give others grief in their first post. Your screen name is also interesting. Are you trying to tell us you are a proctologist?

And yes the reference to someone who actually knows something was a reference to me--not boardburton. I am a girl and I talk a lot and know nothing. But I serve a few useful functions around here like getting other people to respond to some posts by desperate people who would otherwise get ignored in the avalanche of threads by newbies this board is experiencing.

Ross
08-28-2006, 11:02 AM
BTW, 4000 RPM starts on a fresh clutch are a real bad idea. Clutches ,like brakes, require a bedding in period. Excessive slipping and heat will severely shorten clutch or brake life.Reap what you sow.
Gentle at first!

boardburton
08-28-2006, 04:02 PM
Yeah... i wasn't starting at 4000, it just revved up and didnt go anywhere when i pushed on the gas.

Ross
08-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Sounds like it's slippin' big time,that would be the smoke.

mamilapon
08-28-2006, 05:27 PM
Go back to you indy and ask him to check the adjustment on you clutch linkage.Also check any vacuum connections around the intake manifold.

Digita1 Ecstasy
08-29-2006, 01:04 AM
Are you another screen name created by one of the regulars?

Nope. New.

that is an interesting sig pic, Your screen name is also interesting.

Thank you!

Are you trying to tell us you are a proctologist?

Nope, if you read my vague profile it says im enrolled as a first year student of BMW Step.

I am a girl and I talk a lot and know nothing.

Aw. =( I read in another forum you've been around E34's for 5 years or something? I'm sure you've picked something up along the way.

I was only curious if you think I was causing you grief maybe I wasn't polite enough.

Airborne001
08-29-2006, 05:34 AM
God, Allah, Buddha, Satan, whatever, hates me.

Hate him back, keeps the status quo even.

boardburton
09-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Turns out that a rubber hose on my intake manifold hardened to the point where it was pretty much plastic. This broke, caused a backfire, and then cracked another piece on my manifold. It's going to be about 200 parts and labor, possibly less. I'm going to have them check all of my hoses and everything just to be sure.

Ross
09-07-2006, 04:35 PM
A stale donut to Jeff for his astute diagnosis.

fkong777
09-07-2006, 05:10 PM
a piece of the manifold cracked off?! I would think more serious problem will surface if the back fire cause this much damage.

The 2 valve vent hose will harden and crack. one is pretty big one is very thin.. The thin one goes to a opening under the intake manifold.

The intake elbow is probably crack and leaking too.

things you should check.
-the 2 hose mentioned above.
-intake eblow
-MAF sensor
-o2 sensor.

M50 is pretty reliable. just make sure you change the water pump and t-stat.

boardburton
09-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Not a piece of my manifold, but something near the entrance to the manifold, I will know all the details tomorrow after school and update.

CharlesAFerg
09-07-2006, 08:46 PM
heh heh heh

roflmao...

Angry you're thinking too hard again. :D

angrypancake
09-07-2006, 09:43 PM
roflmao...

Angry you're thinking too hard again. :D

dude, there is NO way i could let that one go without at least acknowledging it. i definitely admit that i stopped mid post and just shortened it :p