PDA

View Full Version : Transmission computer

Jazzman
08-27-2006, 01:36 AM
My '90 535 has died, the transmission at least. It gave me the trans program and all of the forum recommendation was done to it. As a last resort I had the transmission rebuilt by a reputable shop owned by a former BMW factory tech. After the rebuild it had the same problem as it had but was "fixed" after the temp sensor was replaced. Then it happened again recently. Took it back to the same shop that did the overhaul and was later told that one of the transmission computer is not sending any output. He is still looking for a reasonably priced used TCMs, the one in the kick panel and the one by the ECU. The recyle shops are asking over $200 for one so he is still in the hunt. Has anyone experienced this hard fault in the TCM? And anyone know where I can get the TCMs? E-bay does not specify for which model they are selling.

Bill R.
08-27-2006, 07:27 AM
TCM in the ebox on your car. Mine experienced a hard fault that i fixed along with a couple of customers cars as well. It turned out to be hairline cracks in the solder joints where the relay is soldered to the board, i resoldered it and any others that looked iffy to me. http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/transcomp%20copy.jpg

http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/transcomp1%20copy.jpg

My '90 535 has died, the transmission at least. It gave me the trans program and all of the forum recommendation was done to it. As a last resort I had the transmission rebuilt by a reputable shop owned by a former BMW factory tech. After the rebuild it had the same problem as it had but was "fixed" after the temp sensor was replaced. Then it happened again recently. Took it back to the same shop that did the overhaul and was later told that one of the transmission computer is not sending any output. He is still looking for a reasonably priced used TCMs, the one in the kick panel and the one by the ECU. The recyle shops are asking over $200 for one so he is still in the hunt. Has anyone experienced this hard fault in the TCM? And anyone know where I can get the TCMs? E-bay does not specify for which model they are selling.

gale
08-27-2006, 05:26 PM

Check the numbers on your TCU. I have one in perfect condition, left over from my 5-spd conversion, $75.

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/tcu1.jpg

Jazzman
09-06-2006, 12:36 AM
Check the numbers on your TCU. I have one in perfect condition, left over from my 5-spd conversion, $75.

Hi Gale,
The number on my TCU, the one by the kick panel is 0260002077 with a bottom number of 1 218 157. My question is : isn't it that '88-'90 535i are specific on certain parts, like the transmission, and hence the TCU? Will your TCU, which I assume is from your '92, work on my '90? Thanks for the info and the offer.

Sonny

gale
09-06-2006, 08:24 AM
Hi Gale,
The number on my TCU, the one by the kick panel is 0260002077 with a bottom number of 1 218 157. My question is : isn't it that '88-'90 535i are specific on certain parts, like the transmission, and hence the TCU? Will your TCU, which I assume is from your '92, work on my '90? Thanks for the info and the offer.

Sonny

Don't risk it if it's not the same number. I remember from former posts on the roadfly e32 forum, that the newer TCU's are specific to each year. Yes, mine is from a 92 735i, build date = 01/92

Brazilianbimmer
10-17-2006, 04:13 PM

Hi Gale, Do you still have that TCU for sale? I have a 92 - 535i with a 4HP22 Automatic. I am still having a Trans Program fault after rebuilding the Transmission and the Torque Converter. Since I am in Brazil it is almost impossible to get parts down here. If you still have it I would love to buy it. You could ship it to a friend of mine who is coming down from the US in a couple of weeks.

gale
10-17-2006, 10:03 PM
Yes I still have it. Send me a private message with a shipping address. Can you do PayPal for the $75?

gale

Hi Gale, Do you still have that TCU for sale? I have a 92 - 535i with a 4HP22 Automatic. I am still having a Trans Program fault after rebuilding the Transmission and the Torque Converter. Since I am in Brazil it is almost impossible to get parts down here. If you still have it I would love to buy it. You could ship it to a friend of mine who is coming down from the US in a couple of weeks.