PDA

View Full Version : Electric Windows Problem & Recommendation for Servicing

Mixpix
08-25-2006, 12:31 PM
I've just bought a 1995 520SE Automatic with 86,000m on the clock and apparently it had been standing idle for a while. The only window that works is the front passenger side. Is there a likely reason for the other windows not operating?

Also can anyone recommend an independent garage for servicing etc.? (I live in Liverpool, England so anywhere in the Liverpool/Merseyside area).

Cheers

fkong777
08-25-2006, 12:56 PM
One trick to get the window loose is to keep the down button pressed and then close the door with button pressed. it is comes down then it work you may need to lube the glide and hinges.

IF not they you may need to replace switch or motor. Try to use a working switch to test the none working one.

dbals
08-25-2006, 03:15 PM
Windows can be a pain in the ass on this car. Start with the basics by checking all fuses and there are a couple of relays under the seat that you should pull and replace or atleast clean contacts. Once thats done I would try the pushing on the button while closing trick. If that works you know the problem is from the switch to the motor. Then you can take off the doors and see if the motor is getting power. You'll need a multimeter. If you have issues with the motor, replace it. i tried to rebuild one and its not worth the trouble.

Tiger
08-25-2006, 05:30 PM
Ditto... have soimeone press down and you slam the door.

Mixpix
08-30-2006, 07:34 AM
Many thanks for the advice! The door slamming trick worked.

Tiger
08-30-2006, 08:29 AM
Lol

alex520
08-31-2006, 01:26 PM
my problem with my window is that the white plastic bits keep coming out of the ridge their supposed to sit on. this has resulted in my window coming down but not straight - comes down so far then starts to come away from the edge of the door (if you know what i mean?) can get it back up again but only if i use my hand to force the window back into place when im putting it up. any ideas on how to fix this.

bbig119
08-31-2006, 02:11 PM
my problem with my window is that the white plastic bits keep coming out of the ridge their supposed to sit on. this has resulted in my window coming down but not straight - comes down so far then starts to come away from the edge of the door (if you know what i mean?) can get it back up again but only if i use my hand to force the window back into place when im putting it up. any ideas on how to fix this.

You talking about the plastic pieces that slide on the tracks at the bottom of the window? You can buy new ones for a few bucks at the stealer.

The other plastic piece which I read about giving people fits was the little plastic /teflon washer that rides along the horizontal anchored track. If this washer breaks, the regulator arm will not seat tight on the track and the window will wobble as it goes up and down. There are posts on the forum and roadfly that describe this problem better than I just did. The short of it is that you can't buy that piece and need to buy a new/used regulator to get it fixed.