PDA

View Full Version : Problem driving to work this am

av8r
08-25-2006, 07:43 AM
Here are some up front notes.
95 530i auto trans 163,000 miles engine replaced under warrenty at 80,000Daily drive 200 miles

While driving to work this morning cruising down 75 doing 80 on cruise the tranny down shifts and starts to bog down. from initial apperances it felt like the trans slipping. So i put on the flashers and slow down. while doing this the car begins to operate normally but the check engine light is still on. I get off my exit and stop. no problem with taking off again and the car functioned ok. While driving up and down the hills the car is being normal in its down shifts and up shifts. After one doenshift the check engine light goes off and stays off for the duration of my trip to work.

Any Ideas?
chris

neil_004
08-25-2006, 08:08 AM
Stop test for codes.

av8r
08-25-2006, 08:25 AM
the check engine light is off. Will it still give me a code if the light is off?

632 Regal
08-25-2006, 08:34 AM
yes.
the check engine light is off. Will it still give me a code if the light is off?

av8r
08-25-2006, 08:40 AM
thanks regal I will check now.

av8r
08-25-2006, 08:24 PM
Checked the codes and it was 1221, so i called and now have new ox sensors coming saturday,
Driving home it did the same thing only it died and would not restart for 1/2 hour. After i started it it drove all the way over 1 hour.

I was wondering if a bad ox sensor can cause this?
chris

saj3n
08-26-2006, 10:10 AM
in my experience with 02 sensors, my acceleration was lost completely. I could barely accelerate from stop, but once I got to about 40 or so, it was fine. Im not sure when exactly my check engine light was on, as the dealership i sold it to removed to bulb for the light. This does sound similar. What you can do is remove the current 02 sensors, ours have 2 sensors, and check for deposits. See if the sensor is clogged shut. If so, attempt to clean anad give it a shot. Mine were clogged shut and would not budge, causing the exhaust to travel back into the engine instead of out the muffler as it should've.

632 Regal
08-26-2006, 11:30 AM
doubt it highly, you probably have intake leaks all over the place causing the code. new O2 sensors are nice but I dont think your problem is going to go away. http://www.google.com/search?q=intake+leak&btnG=Google+Search&domains=www.bimmer.info&sitesearch=www.bimmer.info

I was wondering if a bad ox sensor can cause this?