PDA

View Full Version : So I splooged on some wheels...

SC David
08-25-2006, 01:27 AM
I guess I had to hold true to my promise to myself that I'd have suspension and wheels by the end of summer. And there are only 4 days of summer left! Bah!

So yeah...this has been the most expensive summer for my car BY FAR. I had the waterpump and some of the cooling system die on me earlier this summer, I put in an M-tech II steering wheel, I put in a BavAuto chip, replaced a damaged taillight...and now wheels and suspension in less than a month. Whew!

Anyway, here are the quick snapshots :D

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/3197/p1010001copyop5.jpg

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/4215/p1010017copyat3.jpg

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/4453/p1010020yd7.jpg

The tires on these are worn awkwardly, so I'll need new ones. I also need hubcentric rings, but I was excited when I got home and wanted to see how they looked. Yes, I have the centercaps too, but since I will have to change back to the stockers I decided to same myself sometime.

liquidtiger720
08-25-2006, 01:29 AM
I'm jealous.

gmannino
08-25-2006, 01:30 AM
Looks great!

GoldenOne
08-25-2006, 01:53 AM
lookin good....just needs a good cleanin...

SC David
08-25-2006, 02:00 AM
lookin good....just needs a good cleanin...
Most definitely. The wheels need to get cleaned up...they need some goo gone on the lip, where someone once mounted weights...and in between the spokes could use some love too. These were once someones "beater wheels". They're not in awful shape, but they could definitely use some love.

Mr Project
08-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Do you mean 'splurged'? Splooged means...uh...something else. :)

I must be the only guy in the world that doesn't love the style 5 look, but those do suit the car pretty well. Congrats!

KurtM
08-25-2006, 10:01 AM
It dulled the clear coat finish on mine. Seem to remember using hot soapy water and soaking area to remove. Someone might have a better idea.
The PO didn't take the best care so I used Flizt to clean. After cleaning I waxed with Zymol. Took about 2 hours per wheel. Wax helps when cleaning and keeps brake dust from sticking.

Kurt
95 525ia

Alan_525i
08-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Do you mean 'splurged'? Splooged means...uh...something else. :)

I must be the only guy in the world that doesn't love the style 5 look, but those do suit the car pretty well. Congrats!

Agreed on all counts.

fkong777
08-25-2006, 12:19 PM
better find some dustless brake pads. It will take forever to clean those mesh and rivets.

Dave M
08-25-2006, 06:03 PM
Well done, love the style 5's, just a little too 'dear' for me at the moment.

On that note, what did you spend, where did you find em used?

Dave M

angrypancake
08-25-2006, 06:06 PM
david, what was it, $600 with tires?

nice tail light :)

I have to agree w/Mr Project. I think that if you blew a load on your wheels, you might be a little over the top in love with your car. Perhaps you need a girlfriend

SC David
08-25-2006, 07:00 PM
david, what was it, $600 with tires?

nice tail light :)

I have to agree w/Mr Project. I think that if you blew a load on your wheels, you might be a little over the top in love with your car. Perhaps you need a girlfriend
Well, see, that IS what I meant. I splooged on them, and the seller had a "you splooge, you buy" policy, so I agreed to fork over some cash. And yes, you're right on the price. And yes, I might need a new gf. And yes, the uncracked taillight is nice. Thanks for hooking it up!

It dulled the clear coat finish on mine. Seem to remember using hot soapy water and soaking area to remove. Someone might have a better idea.
The PO didn't take the best care so I used Flizt to clean. After cleaning I waxed with Zymol. Took about 2 hours per wheel. Wax helps when cleaning and keeps brake dust from sticking.
I'll proceed with caution when cleaning the wheels, thanks for the tip. I'll probably do what you did, seeing as it worked out the best.

better find some dustless brake pads. It will take forever to clean those mesh and rivets.
I'm kinda used to having to spend 5 minutes + per wheel with the regular basketweaves. These shouldn't be too much more difficult, but I'll look into that when my pads need replacing.

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-25-2006, 07:08 PM
I think my wife has that same policy...cause I keep paying for everything.
SKEET SKEET SKEET

SchnellE34
08-25-2006, 07:15 PM
Looks great man. Very well done. The car looks awesome.

Kobe Diesel
08-25-2006, 07:36 PM
Those are beautiful wheels, love how they are deeper. E39 stlye 5's are they?

A couple of questions...
1. what size tires are you using?
2. are you using wheel spacers for the fronts?

I have style 5's from E38 7-series, and using 225 width, had to get 10mm spacers to clear them of the springs. Just wondering if you had to do the same with your new wheels.

Dustless pad suggestion - Raybestos! Have them on front brakes and Pagids in the rear. The rears put out more dust than the fronts. Will swap the pads soon at some point....Enjoy~

KenB
08-25-2006, 09:03 PM
I LIKE the wheels...don't think I'd splooge on them though...well, maybe lift the skirts or something.;)

aston_jag_tech
08-25-2006, 09:11 PM
It looks like your car grew up jsut from new rims yea? 15 to what 18??? Sweet sweet ride. I want a set also but, everyone is picking them up! Will have to settle for an exclusive choice, ooww oww.
Great looking 5

Airborne001
08-26-2006, 05:40 AM
So I splooged on some wheels...

That could explain why the brake dust is sticking so well to the wheels.