PDA

View Full Version : instrument cluster

Mendozart
08-25-2006, 01:04 AM
I need to know which year clusters would be compatible with a build date 4/93 525ia? My cousin's cluster is all wacked out ( random blips in the lcd section ) All of her gauges are working fine. Also, is there a coded plug that stores the car's info on these clusters and are they transferrable? Thanks.

RobE34
08-25-2006, 03:49 AM
How rare are 4/93 525ai clusters Greg? Does the ETK tell you anything? What about just a new LCD unit. Just thinking out loud.

Mr Project
08-25-2006, 06:53 AM
According to RealOEM, my 4/92 525iTa dashboard is the same part#s as your 4/93 one. Yes, there is a coding plug which transferrs the mileage and I'm not sure what else....

On mine, I know the LED sections and warning lights work fine, but I never drove the car with it installed, so I can't comment on the rest. Make me an offer if you're interested...I used the cluster from my 535i when I did my conversion, so I don't need this one.

brosher
08-25-2006, 08:51 AM
There is also a cluster on bf for $50...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=588214&highlight=e34

Bill R.
08-25-2006, 09:21 AM
garbled or nonsense and to replace if its missing segments, the lcd display only has display qualitys ,there's no reason to replace the cluster if its only the lcd display thats faulty just get an lcd module, if its not bad grounds. Yes the coding plug stores info on the plug and they aren't really transferable since many other factors are in the coding plug besides the mileage. So you would use your old coding plug if you changed the cluster, which i wouldn't do anyway, i'd just change the lcd modulehttp://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/latercluster.jpg

I need to know which year clusters would be compatible with a build date 4/93 525ia? My cousin's cluster is all wacked out ( random blips in the lcd section ) All of her gauges are working fine. Also, is there a coded plug that stores the car's info on these clusters and are they transferrable? Thanks.

Mendozart
08-25-2006, 10:29 AM
Bill R, what ground do I need to check? Is it a ground in the engine bay or one of the plugs to the cluster? As far as replacing the whole cluster, I was just going to use the parts I needed from another cluster. When I was checking on realoem I noticed that the lcd unit was over $1k. OUCH!

angusbn
08-25-2006, 06:54 PM
Just happened to me today. The car had been parked for 4 days and the fuel and temp guages were not funtctioning. I simply pulled fuse #1, #17 and #20and wiped them clean and reinstalled them and eueka the fuel and temp guages worked. Great feeling. I was about to rip apart the instrument cluster. Now I can drink beer instead!

Mendozart
08-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Well actually it's not the same problem. The gauges all work fine, it's just the message (lcd) that's garbled. I just have to figure out where to check the ground for this problem.