PDA

View Full Version : 1994 540i Suspension Upgrades

jkromelow
08-25-2006, 12:22 AM
Just got a '94 540i. Great car except its handling is very similar to my Cadillac...needless to say at 100K miles its time for some suspension upgrades. I have read a lot the past few weeks and have identified a set of upgrade candidates that include:
1) Lowering Springs
2) Bilstein Shocks
3) 18" Rims and some great tires
4) Thicker (Stiffer anti-sway bars for front and rear)

With that said, I live in the in the Suburbs, and will use this car as a commute car on the freeway for 50 miles round trip about 3 days a week. Sometime I drive in to San Francisco, or other urban areas with poor streets.

I am wondering which upgrades to move forward with and in what order. Here is what I am thinking:

1) Lowering Springs- have heard they do a lot for handling…have also heard that the weight of the V8 is too much for the lower clearance and that many people around San Francisco have regretted the lower car given the poor road conditions…Not sure what to do…maybe low priority (lowered cars do look great). Maybe not do this upgrade and save the oil pan.

2)Bilstein Shocks-Seems like a no brainer. I have had Porches and I really love the Stiff ride and responsive handling. Top Priority.

3) 18” Rims great tires- no brainer – how wide can I go …definitely staggered…under steer doesn’t bother me… Size/Width if I lower…if I don’t lower…

4) Anti-Sway upgrades – This is a top priority with the shocks. I think this will help tighten the back end and provide some stability. I think if I do this maybe I wont really need lowering springs.

I was hoping there were some folks that could give me insights to their experiences, both positive and negative.

Thanks in advance.

Jehu
08-25-2006, 12:29 AM
why are 18" rims a no brainer? You like dropping a C note every few weeks for truing? Even with 17" rims i cringe when i inevitably fail to spot a pothole or raised artifact in the road. For my taste anything over 17" begins to look ghetto and if as you say you live in an area with lousy roads it would seem like a no brainer to me to stay under 18". YMMV

jkromelow
08-25-2006, 12:49 AM
Good questions...I was thinking no brainer because I can pick up a set for clode to nothing from a friend that owes me. I had 18"'s on my Porsche and never had problems. But maybe your right...perhaps they are not right for this car. That's why I'm here asking the questions.

Thanks

Jehu
08-25-2006, 12:55 AM
Good questions...I was thinking no brainer because I can pick up a set for clode to nothing from a friend that owes me. I had 18"'s on my Porsche and never had problems. But maybe your right...perhaps they are not right for this car. That's why I'm here asking the questions.

Thanks

here's my 540 with 17" Rondell #58's ;

The ghetto part is just my taste and i may be worried more than i need to be about denting the rims but for me I'd have to be even more cautious if i cared about avoiding road obstacles.Having a set of wheels you like available at a good price is a good reason to go for them.Good luck and keep your eyes open,LOL!http://users.adelphia.net/~cpkver8/images/Picture%20a056.jpg

BillionPa
08-25-2006, 02:55 AM
bigger swaybars do a lot, but im regretting not doing the rear wheel bearings and subframe mounts after all my suspension and brake work, as it really bothers the hell out of me now, the other problems not being visible anymore.

Martin in Bellevue
08-25-2006, 10:17 AM
I recently relocated to Serrano, El Dorado Hills. I replaced the front Bilsteins with new Sachs struts on my 535. This is with 17" T stars, Eibach springs, RD anti-sway bars, IE fixed camber plates, & Bruno's rear subfrqame inserts. One of those Bilstein struts frooze up on me.

You're welcome to drive the car & question the suspension. I like the sachs struts' compliance when compared to the Bilsteins. The Sachs sporting kit may be the ideal suspension for these cars. At 1 time, I had BavAuto springs on the 535. It was low, & was set for corners, but the impact over coins & shadows on pavement made for a very uncomfortable ride.

fkong777
08-25-2006, 12:11 PM
1) Lowering Springs- Vogtland & Eibach should give you some drop and OEM quality ride depending on strut. Lot of choices on springs tho.

2) Bilstein Shocks- Sorry I had them and I remove them.. Too harsh.. if you need firm strut go Koni.. Most of the M5board.com guys swears by Koni's..

3) 18" Rims and some great tires- I have 18":) 18x8.5 and 18x10 for that matter.

4) Thicker (Stiffer anti-sway bars for front and rear)- Good to have. but I've always found Strut have much more return on handling than sways.. . With the way the E34 sway bar links are.. It makes very little differences.

Just my opinions of course.
18" is not ghetto- its Just right.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/2358000-2358999/2358062_16_full.jpg

Jehu
08-25-2006, 12:20 PM
yah those don't look bad. . Do you ever find yourself wondering if the tire is going to come off the wheel when you're taking an offramp at 60?

Tiger
08-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Spring pads when you do the springs... You can use M-Tech Springs instead of others... very balanced ride.

Sway bars... you need to change the links first. You probably got one broken in the rear.

Evan
08-25-2006, 01:57 PM
I'm installing H&R springs and KYB struts and shocks. I'll let you know my personal experience after I drive.

The 18" wheels are a great idea. I have two sets of M-Parallels in 18" and I love the way they look and drive.

The streets in SF aren't that bad... just keep an eye out.

dbals
08-25-2006, 03:06 PM
IMO wheels all depend on suspension set up. What I mean is you can definatly take bigger wheels to far. weve all seen cars with 20's on them that should have 18's instead and then have the car lowered an inch. I ve seen lots of guys with staggered 18's and then have the car lowered about 1.5 inchs to make it tuck and look really nice.
just my 2 cents

dbals
08-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Like this car. Thats bad ass. you cant tell me those look to big or ghetto...come on, thats just sweet.

1) Lowering Springs- Vogtland & Eibach should give you some drop and OEM quality ride depending on strut. Lot of choices on springs tho.

2) Bilstein Shocks- Sorry I had them and I remove them.. Too harsh.. if you need firm strut go Koni.. Most of the M5board.com guys swears by Koni's..

3) 18" Rims and some great tires- I have 18":) 18x8.5 and 18x10 for that matter.

4) Thicker (Stiffer anti-sway bars for front and rear)- Good to have. but I've always found Strut have much more return on handling than sways.. . With the way the E34 sway bar links are.. It makes very little differences.

Just my opinions of course.
18" is not ghetto- its Just right.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/2358000-2358999/2358062_16_full.jpg

Johntee540
08-25-2006, 10:00 PM
The set-up I have on mine is:

1) Bilstien Sport Shocks
2) H/R Red Springs
3) RD Front / Rear Sway Bars
4) RD Strut Brace
5) RD RD2 Wheels 18" Staggered
6) Toyo Proxie T1-s 9.5/10.5
7) Bruno Subframe Inserts
8) New Subframe bushings
9) New Front and Rear Wheel Bearings
10) Lemforder Control / Thrust w 750 Bushings. ( I did have the RRT but talk about harsh ride. Great on the track - couldnt drive it on the road)
11) ZF Servotronic (reman) Steering Box

I use the car at 3 track events per year. My instructor who has a RUF Porsche tells me he thinks its set-up pretty well. All that really matters is that I like it. Most everyone here has their own thoughts on what does and does not work. If you can try and drive someone elses car and get a taste of what the set up they have is and go from there. Be Good - JT

Jehu
09-30-2006, 09:24 PM
The set-up I have on mine is:

1) Bilstien Sport Shocks
2) H/R Red Springs
3) RD Front / Rear Sway Bars
4) RD Strut Brace
5) RD RD2 Wheels 18" Staggered
6) Toyo Proxie T1-s 9.5/10.5
7) Bruno Subframe Inserts
8) New Subframe bushings
9) New Front and Rear Wheel Bearings
10) Lemforder Control / Thrust w 750 Bushings. ( I did have the RRT but talk about harsh ride. Great on the track - couldnt drive it on the road)
11) ZF Servotronic (reman) Steering Box

I use the car at 3 track events per year. My instructor who has a RUF Porsche tells me he thinks its set-up pretty well. All that really matters is that I like it. Most everyone here has their own thoughts on what does and does not work. If you can try and drive someone elses car and get a taste of what the set up they have is and go from there. Be Good - JT

I've read some regulars dis Bilstiens. Have they worked out as desired still and had you ever tried Sachs?

632 Regal
09-30-2006, 09:45 PM
i had 2 bilsteins go bad, one was a leaker and the other froze a month after replacing the other. Im using the sachs turbo and love them.
I've read some regulars dis Bilstiens. Have they worked out as desired still and had you ever tried Sachs?

Jehu
09-30-2006, 09:55 PM
its funny how by simply charging more for a product you can give soem impression that it is actually superioir to cheaper priced competition. Bav Auto is having a big event tomorrow http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp#undefined ,maybe i'll ride over and see what manufacturer reps are on hand to talk up their stuff.