PDA

View Full Version : Loss of reverse on rebuild located!?

Denasti
08-24-2006, 12:35 PM
Well I have been posting about my transmission adventure and I cracked the tranny open again and pulled the A clutch out then the B clutch and the oring fell out and it was cut in half. I was wondering how the reverse could fail after only a day when the fluid was nearly new looking when I drained it. So I figure the oring broke releasing the pressure to engage revers or fully operate 3rd and 4th gear? Sound correct?

http://www.jpat.co.uk/jpat_pdfs/ZF%20Acrobat%20files/ZF%20%204HP22.pdf

The ZF manual speaks lightly about the oring and retaining washer. It seems I did not place the retaining circlip in also and caused the tear in the oring. They are numbers 110, 136, and 13. So, I hope this will fix my issue and I can slap this baby back to gether and not yank this thing for the 4th time in 4 months. I have it down to two hours for a take out :D I think the valve body is fine but if this doesnt work then I can yank the valve body out from the underside and rebuild it.

632 Regal
08-24-2006, 06:24 PM
I believe you have found the problem...missing clip deal thingy.

the big grey mystery boxes are not bad once gone thouugh a few times. this is why we read about rebuild failures so often. even the pro's mess them up.

Took me about 3 times on a turbo 400 before I figured out how to bust the tires smokey into 3rd gear. I figure 3-5 times on my 5hp-18 before it will be right.

Denasti
08-24-2006, 09:37 PM
Well I got it in and it shifts well but I get a nasty vibration from the middle of the car when it is about to shift.In the align of 2k rpm and I can hold the vibration for a few seconds. It leaves me to belive it may be a driveline vibration.

I am not totally sure how to set the downshift cable either. Nothing is listed in the factory manual that I have seen. Any thoughts?