PDA

View Full Version : 94 525i Help Needed... Won't Run

Disney
08-24-2006, 11:13 AM
I have recently purchased a non-running 94 525i for a very good price and need help. There is very little fuel in the tank (gauge shows "R") but what is there is OLD and smells. I have put about 5 gallons of 93 octane in to see if that would help but it did not. I'm not sure if perhaps the fuel pump is bad and the engine is not getting fuel or maybe the injectors are shot. I have gone through and checked all fuses and they are good. I replaced the spark plugs then shot a small dose of starter fluid in the throttle body and she started right up long enough to burn off the starter fluid. Is there a relay to the fuel pump that may be bad? If so, where is it located? Is this an "easy fix" or am I in over my head? I located the fuel filter behind the passenger side rear wheel and removed it. When I put the key in the ignition and turn it to start should there be fuel coming out of the open end of the line where I disconnected it from the filter? It does not so could this be a sign that the fuel pump is indeed bad? I am new to the BMW game but have wanted one all of my life and jumped on the first chance to own one at a good price. This is my first post here so I do appologize for the long-winded post. My email address is twodisneys@aol.com to send info if available. Also, does anyone have a schematic of the relays/fuses and what they control? Thanks in advance.

Qube
08-24-2006, 11:21 AM
Welcome! I spaced out your post for easier read. Let the show begin!

================================================== ==

I have recently purchased a non-running 94 525i for a very good price and need help. There is very little fuel in the tank (gauge shows "R") but what is there is OLD and smells.

What I've Done:

· I have put about 5 gallons of 93 octane in to see if that would help but it did not.
· I'm not sure if perhaps the fuel pump is bad and the engine is not getting fuel or maybe the injectors are shot.
· I have gone through and checked all fuses and they are good.
· I replaced the spark plugs then shot a small dose of starter fluid in the throttle body and she started right up long enough to burn off the starter fluid.
· I located the fuel filter behind the passenger side rear wheel and removed it.

Questions:

· Is there a relay to the fuel pump that may be bad? If so, where is it located?
· Is this an "easy fix" or am I in over my head?
· When I put the key in the ignition and turn it to start should there be fuel coming out of the open end of the line where I disconnected it from the filter?
· It does not so could this be a sign that the fuel pump is indeed bad?
· Also, does anyone have a schematic of the relays/fuses and what they control?

I am new to the BMW game but have wanted one all of my life and jumped on the first chance to own one at a good price. This is my first post here so I do appologize for the long-winded post

My email address is twodisneys@aol.com to send info if available. Thanks in advance.

================================================== ==

Ross
08-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Fuel pump relay failure is common. Open the electronics box under the hood right side. The fuel pump relay is the one in the middle. Either jump terminals 30 & 87 or swap a different relay in. Fuse #23 is for the pump.
If the pump still won't operate it's probably bad.

RobPatt
08-24-2006, 12:09 PM
...do a search for:
- Bentley Manual (online in .pdf) to get you started, it's got a great pic of the fuel pump relay...
- then go buy the manual from amazon.com or somewhere....
- relay is about $12 if I remember correctly...
- ALSO if I remember correctly, the fuel relay is on the inside of the driver's side fender, by the orange ABS device, under the smaller black plastic cover.... one of the 3 relays in there? (it's here on the forum, just search).
- fuel pump is accessed via panel on floor in trunk (careful w/sparks and gas!! ) new fuel pump go about $225-250ish...

good luck. Rob.

Fuel pump relay failure is common. Open the electronics box under the hood right side. The fuel pump relay is the one in the middle. Either jump terminals 30 & 87 or swap a different relay in. Fuse #23 is for the pump.
If the pump still won't operate it's probably bad.