PDA

View Full Version : Angel eyes headlights

BMW4ever
08-24-2006, 01:07 AM
hi all

i got hole in my headlight lens (high beams) with a size of a quarter, and it's a perfect excuse to replace the headlights. Now, my question is should i stick with the oem ones, or should i upgrade it to the agel eyes headlights? i went to the dealer today, and said that bmw didn't make that kind of headlights for e34. used the "search button' and not sure if the aftermarket ones are durable--let alone made in germany. found two companies though "um nitza" (not sure) and "namotorwerks.com". if i do upgrade the headlights, is it a "plug and play" or there are additional wirings need to be done? i want to keep it simple as much as possible.

angrypancake
08-24-2006, 01:58 AM
umnitza headlights arent truly plug and play but they do sell an adaptor kit for something like 25 bucks that will make it plug and play. if you want to upgrade, go with a set of "euro smiley" headlights. increased light output incredibly as opposed to your stock ellipsoids, and definitely not as expensive. if you want to go with even more light, you can put an H.I.D. kit in your low beams, preferrably 4300K or 6000K.
angel eyes for our e34, although final decision is based upon owner's taste, sort of don't "flow" with the car.

Qube
08-24-2006, 06:56 AM
You mean you used the search button and didn't come up with at least half a dozen of my posts comparing and talking about them? :| No mercy ;)

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/search.php?searchid=228847

http://jasonlau.ca/images/search_bimmer.jpg

Evan
08-24-2006, 10:20 AM
angel eyes are not an upgrade.. trust me... the're cheap chinese headlights.

get a used pair of Hella Euro Smileys and replace the lenses and add angel eyes...

that's what I would do instead of spending $250 on chinese lights

Qube
08-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Anything is an upgrade if you've got pitted, foggy old lights :)

If you want the epitome of quality ($$$) without tinkering, then go Hella Euros.

Evan
08-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Depo lights are not an upgrade. You own them.. I own them... let's not pretend they're an upgrade

Qube
08-24-2006, 11:10 AM
Depo lights are not an upgrade. You own them.. I own them... let's not pretend they're an upgrade

Woooo. Different folks, different strokes :)

Better looking? Subjective
More light? Almost always, because the original 10+ year old ones are pitted, dirty, broken, fogged, etc.
Better light? That depends... I like the North American projector cutoff more than Euro/Halo _/ type :(
Cheaper? Yes, in both respects. Costs less (half?) BUT also of lesser quality. Again, personal choice, like FCP parts. Let's not debate about this point... it'll drag out.

So, is it an upgrade? If you don't debate the 'cheaper' point, then usually the answer is yes. Don't answer to the 'cheaper' point because it'll just start a flame like FCP vs Lemf parts (cost vs total quality).

In a nutshell, they are an upgrade from the moldy projectors from 1988 I had on the car. On the FLIP SIDE, if I had clean, crisp lenses and projectors OEM, I would like those... BUT, I like the halo ring (on Depo's only). I digress.

Evan
08-24-2006, 11:29 AM
ok you win

final word count

Qube 150
Evan 18

E34 530
08-24-2006, 11:35 AM
angel eyes are crap. get the Euro smileys

Qube
08-24-2006, 11:38 AM
ok you win

final word count

Qube 150
Evan 18

Not trying to rough your feathers there, Evan :p Just want folks to have a somewhat open mind. It's perfectly fine to say they're not an upgrade, but just tell them (uninformed folks) why. Tell em how they suck. Do say that they are (usually) inferior build on the plastic parts, for example. That's all. If not, it just turned into a blue coolant, green coolant type debate.

Anyway, as supposedly crappy Depos are, they are already 'leagues' ahead of ALL the other halo projectors out there. Even so, from a build quality perspective, they can't come close to OEM/Hellas. Everything else is personal.

Evan
08-24-2006, 11:39 AM
depos are not an upgrade.. buyer beware

Qube
08-24-2006, 11:47 AM
Oh God, Evan. Without beating around the bush any longer, let's answer this man's question in the simpliest way.

i want to keep it simple as much as possible.

Go OEM and plug and play. I'm not certain euro smilies are just plug and play. Evan? <--- it's a legit question btw, not a rant :)

Macv
08-24-2006, 11:52 AM
I wanna see a fight http://www.improvresourcecenter.com/mb/images/smilies/popcorn.gif

VentoGT
08-24-2006, 12:24 PM
The Euro smilies need to be wired in with a kit available from Abrahamsmotorsport.com. I'd go Euro Smilies.

jjdickm
08-24-2006, 12:51 PM
Euro all the way!!!

jjdickm
08-24-2006, 12:51 PM
Euro smilies all the way!!!

shuriken
08-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Try German Swedish and French or EuroCar Parts. Both UK suppliers and I think now you can get 'Angel Eyes' to fit E34's. Well over in UK anyway. Sell standard replacement lenses too. Look 'em up on the net.

nizmainiac
08-24-2006, 05:10 PM
the nearest one to me is plymouth, who are the angel eyes made by? a mate of mine got some hella ones for his e36 they cost him £330

BFEINZIMER
10-19-2006, 05:27 PM
well with angel eyes, how good do you think the quality is from bravarian autosport?

VentoGT
10-20-2006, 09:23 AM
The Angel eye kits are all Depos from what I have seen. I don't want to keep talking about how shitty I think depos are, not to mention ricey. It's your money, do a search and be done with it. I'm ****in sick of this topic coming up every 3 days.

weiss_535is
10-20-2006, 09:44 AM
hi all

i got hole in my headlight lens (high beams) with a size of a quarter, and it's a perfect excuse to replace the headlights. Now, my question is should i stick with the oem ones, or should i upgrade it to the agel eyes headlights? i went to the dealer today, and said that bmw didn't make that kind of headlights for e34. used the "search button' and not sure if the aftermarket ones are durable--let alone made in germany. found two companies though "um nitza" (not sure) and "namotorwerks.com". if i do upgrade the headlights, is it a "plug and play" or there are additional wirings need to be done? i want to keep it simple as much as possible.

Ever wondered what its like to 'start a sh*t fight........;)

Qube
10-20-2006, 10:29 AM
The Angel eye kits are all Depos from what I have seen.

Not true at all. Depo is one of the better (most of the time) halo/angel projectors out there.

I don't want to keep talking about how shitty I think depos are, not to mention ricey.

I concur... and if Depos are "shitty" then you don't want to touch the non-Depo ones.

It's your money, do a search and be done with it. I'm ****in sick of this topic coming up every 3 days.

While I don't harbor such anger, I am amused at how many do post with out searching.

bigtallsam
10-20-2006, 02:01 PM
Euro Smilies & 6000k Hids = Sorted

S

VentoGT
10-20-2006, 03:27 PM
Qube--true enough. I thought all of the angel eye kits were depos. I have just read so many things on here about "what angel eye kit do I get" "are they OEM" "Where can I find Hella Angel Eyes" "can I fit e90 headlights to my e34" [well, not this one really but it's only a matter of time], that I'm about to scream.

I know that I could just not read the thread, ignore it, but especially when I'm having a crap day I feel like I need to lash out and punish people for not searching for one of the most frequently asked questions here.

While I have no personal experience with Depos, I don't like how many bad stories I have heard, and I don't like the looks of Halos, Depo or not, so that is purely an opinion-based comment.

-Soapbox off-

WillDV
10-20-2006, 06:38 PM
With all this talk of smileys, does anyone have some pics of what they look like both on and off? While I'm firmly against rice, I don't mind the halo's but would like to see what the non-rice approved smileys look like.

Paul in NZ
10-20-2006, 07:14 PM
With all this talk of smileys, does anyone have some pics of what they look like both on and off? While I'm firmly against rice, I don't mind the halo's but would like to see what the non-rice approved smileys look like.
see my sig for on.Note that these are H1 euro hellas albeit RHD.
You can see in the off pic a sorta silver ball inside the headlight.This actually a lens that focusses the light.I think the smiley part of the reflector is to create the euro type cutoff which for a rhd car is \___ LH drive ____/
You can see the lens glowing brighter than the rest of the light.
and heres off
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/kiwi535/front-on.jpg