PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank refurbished, now won't hold more than $40

Bimminator
08-23-2006, 09:07 PM
Hi all,

I had my tank refurbished last fall and ever since it won't seem to hold more than half a tank. Is it possible that when it was re-installed they pinched or twisted or even damaged the lines going to the evaporation tank thereby not allowing air/fumes to escape the fuel tank? If anyone has removed a tank before I would appreciate your wisdom, before I start investigating on my own

Thanks, Shawn

Jehu
08-23-2006, 09:14 PM
was yours rusted near the tailpipe? What was the refurb?Que Mucho?

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-23-2006, 09:17 PM
was the tank relined with a plastic sealer?

If so the nipple for the vent may be plugged.

Bimminator
08-23-2006, 09:19 PM
was yours rusted near the tailpipe? What was the refurb?Que Mucho?
Mine was leaking at the fill tube where it met the tank. The whole tank was repaired and re-epoxied. Came back looking like new.

Bimminator
08-23-2006, 09:21 PM
was the tank relined with a plastic sealer?

If so the nipple for the vent may be plugged.
Not sure if it was relined but it was epoxied, can I gain access to this without dropping the tank?

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-23-2006, 09:24 PM
you run your hand up from just above the fuel filter area and feel the line, and see if it is pinched.

Bimminator
08-23-2006, 09:30 PM
you run your hand up from just above the fuel filter area and feel the line, and see if it is pinched.
Thanks, I was just on realoem.com looking at a diagram. there might be enough room to squeeze my hand up from behind the right rear tire once the pannel is removed.

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-23-2006, 09:40 PM
1x2 feet to support the tank.
rear will have to be on stands for height.

release the two straps locate all the hose clamps and remove, vent line to the truck , open the little trunk access hatch to the electrical, fuel and return lines. Now slowly lower... watch out for any hang ups, missed hoses, grounding straps etc.

you may be able to get away with lowering it several inches and fixing through the truck access, or by reaching around.

good luck

genphreak
08-24-2006, 09:12 AM
was yours rusted near the tailpipe? What was the refurb?Que Mucho?Didn't all e34s use plastic tanks?

mikell
08-24-2006, 01:18 PM
Are you sure the tank is not full? If they screwed up the fuel level sender when reinstalling, you could have a full tank and not know it.
Even if you decide to drop the tank, you want it close as possible to empty when you do that. So, set the trip odo to zero, then drive until you get the yellow low fuel light - see how many miles you have gone - that might tell you what's up with the sender, as the low fuel lamp switch is separate from the level sender.

Bimminator
08-24-2006, 09:26 PM
1x2 feet to support the tank.
rear will have to be on stands for height.

release the two straps locate all the hose clamps and remove, vent line to the truck , open the little trunk access hatch to the electrical, fuel and return lines. Now slowly lower... watch out for any hang ups, missed hoses, grounding straps etc.

you may be able to get away with lowering it several inches and fixing through the truck access, or by reaching around.

good luck
Do you think all the hoses need to be disconected if I am only going to lower the tank two or three inches?

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-24-2006, 09:29 PM
they are

the fill inlet may have to be, but some of the vent and fuel out/return seem to have some slack.

Just be careful and watch as you lower it.

Bimminator
08-24-2006, 09:36 PM
Are you sure the tank is not full? If they screwed up the fuel level sender when reinstalling, you could have a full tank and not know it.
Even if you decide to drop the tank, you want it close as possible to empty when you do that. So, set the trip odo to zero, then drive until you get the yellow low fuel light - see how many miles you have gone - that might tell you what's up with the sender, as the low fuel lamp switch is separate from the level sender.
Like I said originally, I can't seem to get more than about $40 worth of fuel in the tank. The sender is brand new, put in last fall by me. Before the tank was fixed it was more than willing to accept between $80-$90 worth depending on the price of gas. Are you sure the low fuel lamp switch is seperate from the sender unit? If so where is the sensor for that. I thought the low fuel light went on when the float in the sender falls far enough to complete a circuit? I will try watching the odometer though and wait for the low fuel light, seeing I won't have time to deal with this for a few weeks.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Shawn

mikell
08-24-2006, 10:49 PM
The sender and the low fuel switch are both located in the same unit, but the low level light is independent of the float. I just figure that there is a possibility the sender could have been damaged in the tank replacement. If it was, your gauge could show near empty when you have half a tank in there, so it would only accept 8 or 9 gallons before it was actually full. Good luck.

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-25-2006, 01:01 AM
happens when the shroud on the sender gets knocked loose and rattles around against the float.

One day you're at 1/2 tank, go up a hill or a make short stop and bingo...reserve light goes on.

Bimminator
08-27-2006, 10:17 AM
happens when the shroud on the sender gets knocked loose and rattles around against the float.

One day you're at 1/2 tank, go up a hill or a make short stop and bingo...reserve light goes on.
I have definately noticed that parking on slants or going up hills triggers my low fuel light but then needle goes back up within a few minutes of driving. I'll let you know what the problem turns out being. I'll likely do some fiddling around with it in the next couple of weeks. Also have a wiper linkage to replace and from what I have read here it should be loads of fun!

Thanks again,

Shawn

mikell
09-10-2006, 02:54 PM
So, was the problem ever identified and fixed? Inquiring minds want to know.