PDA

View Full Version : Code and Alarm

F4Phantom
08-23-2006, 07:08 PM
I have read the manual, called BMW and all the threads here but I still cant answer one question.

Can you reset the code security number if you cant remember it?

I accidently entered a number, and now I cant seem to get it right (or the OBC is hammered).

I left the battery unplugged overnight in an attempt to reset the computer but BMW tell me the OBC remembers the code otherwise it would be to easy to overcome.

So they want me to tow the car to BMW, plug in the computer and retrieve the code via the BMW software.

Can I get the code myself or reset the code at home?

F4Phantom
08-23-2006, 08:01 PM
I have a happy ending to this story and if your reading this you may be interested.

It became obvious to me that the code probably cannot be reset and towing the car to BMW is not an option or at least the last option.

I had to remember the code which I did by working out how it was input. I was trying to unlock my OBC to get %fuel etc.. but I am not the kind of person who reads an article on the net, tries it at home and finds it works just fine! I am the guy who has the same item but it didnt come with the option everyone else's did. ( I am sure we all know people who just assume everything they do will work for them and it does) So I was trying to workout the unlock proceedure and I pressed 10 and 1 and it did not work because you need to press 1000 and 1, so anyway I pressed code not knowing what code actually does and locked up the car code as 0011. I then got (briefly) confused with the alarm and put in the radio code which is 5 digits and the CODE only takes 4. So I tried to unlock the CODE with combinations of not using the a middle number in the radio alarm before it dawned on me that what I was doing was silly. So I called BMW, got the whole 'get it towed here thing' and then sat in the corner and had a good hard think about what I had done and came up with the 0011 idea. So its all ok, BUT I still cant unlock the OBC so I assume mine was one model which cant be unlocked or something. Anyway the whole thing was a futile 'not so smart' event but also slightly unsettling as only a short time ago I was not able to use the car with no solution available.