PDA

View Full Version : I have trouble driving straight!

NielsGalan
08-23-2006, 04:10 PM
And no, I haven't been drinking!!!!!

Hey guys.

Issue:
When driving on a long, straight road the car has a tendency to jolt/jerk to one side. I have to hold the steering wheel slightly to one side to keep it straight, but then suddenly the car can decide to change direction ever so slightly (but enough for me to grab the wheel to get it back on track).

Does anyone have any experience with this? I have sort of gotten used to it, but when people borrow the car they say something is whong with it! (Goddammit, there's nothing wrong with my E34!)

* Tyres are 225 wide. They have been blamed for this behaviour, but come on! Some of you guys have wider tyres than that!

* All bushings/steering play/alignment should be ok.

* Roads around here have a tendency to be sloped to either side from the middle, but if this is the cause, other cars would have the same problem.

* I definetely don't think a BMW should behave like this.

Any suggestions? I have the steering box in mind, but don't know if i'm barking up the wrong tree there ...?

Alexlind123
08-23-2006, 04:28 PM
Check for play in the steering. Check your alignment again.

E34-520iSE
08-23-2006, 04:36 PM
There is a lash adjuster on the top of the steering box. You can 'dial out' the excessive play if that is your problem. Just don't overdo it or you won't be able to steer it.

Shaun

nizmainiac
08-23-2006, 05:21 PM
what profile tyres are you running? are you sure your alignment is o.k. this can be a problem if it is not right, i found that the lower the profile tyre the worse it gets (not bmw's in general) but the crown in the road will cause the car to wander a little, its there to get rid of the rain in the wet, but i would be checking all bushes and alignment first

NielsGalan
08-24-2006, 05:51 AM
The tyres are in style 5 17" rims, and the car has been aligned recently with these rims and tyres. The same issue occurred with another set of 16" 225 rims, so I don't think it is that.

Regarding bushings and steering links everything is new(ish) except for the pitman arms and possibly other minor things.

Qube
08-24-2006, 07:06 AM
There is a lash adjuster on the top of the steering box. You can 'dial out' the excessive play if that is your problem. Just don't overdo it or you won't be able to steer it.

Shaun

Definitely check that 'nut behind the wheel' and tighten where applicable.

Espen
08-24-2006, 07:15 AM
I have the same problem... I have not figured it out yet... Im gonna do a 4wheel adjustment at a local workshop soon...

fujioko
08-24-2006, 07:58 AM
Take a moment and double check the REAR sub frame mounts. They will almost always go bad and when they do, the car will track funny. The description you gave really sounds like your mounts are damaged.

Hope that helps

NielsGalan
08-24-2006, 07:59 AM
Steering column nut is ok.