PDA

View Full Version : opinions on the "California Car Duster"

gamjohn2
04-06-2004, 08:36 PM
After a day of detailing my car, I am a little irked that a very light coating of dust has layered the top portion of my car. I was considering using a car duster, but I was under the impression that they would lightly scratch the car. Any opinions on this matter?? Thanks in advance. ;)

Scott M.
04-06-2004, 08:54 PM
I live in Arizona which is a very dusty place. The California Duster works great as long as you do not let the dust build up. Also in high heat the waxy surface of the duster can leave little marks but this does not hurt the paint. I can't live with out one here.

Scott
1995 540ia
53K with 33K on alusil
EAT Chip

George M
04-07-2004, 12:36 PM
I have one....the big model...they come in a couple of different sizes. Believe they are more effective for a garage queen or show car not a daily driver. There is a balance between wiping the dust off and scratching the clearcoat by wiping too much dust, dirt or contamination off the paint. Repeated use or if used on a daily driver to wipe off road film will scratch the paint. My drill is, I roll the cover off my 7, wheel the car out and drive it for the day, then wipe it off with the duster, use some quick detailer on it with microfiber...quick detailer is mostly water with oils and silicone to lubricate the wiping process....and then put the cover back on. I don't always do all the above but do most times as putting a cover on a dusty or dirty car will scratch it also. For a daily driver I recommend wash it when it gets noticeably dirty and don't use a duster on it unless it is just a little dusty but almost clean.
HTH,
George