PDA

View Full Version : OT: satellite radio

Kulasstar
08-22-2006, 07:10 PM
any one use it? and if so where did you mount the unit?

Jehu
08-22-2006, 07:19 PM
shall hereafter be referred to as "SatRad".As if i need something else sucking up my hard earned cabbage.That would be one , no...

Jimbo
08-22-2006, 07:56 PM
I have the XM Commander, the receiver unit is mounted in the glove box and the display is simply clamped into a universal phone holder mounted to the arm of what used to be the factory car phone mount. I was eventually going to fabricate a mounting for the display into the area where the ashtray is located, but the phone arm actually puts it in the perfect location, it's very close to where my hand naturally rests when not shifting, and yet it doesnt get in the way of the shifter and the shifter doesn't get in the way of me reaching the display. I put the magnetic antenna on one of the speaker grills on the rear shelf area, and despite what the instructions say, it gets almost perfect reception even from inside the car.

Overall a pretty ghetto setup, but it functions perfectly and it looks cleaner than it might sound.

Milkboot
08-22-2006, 10:25 PM
Personally I have XM and have a Delpi Roady 2, I want to get the XT model becuase it is WAY smaller, but i had the unit cramed where the BMW phone would go for a while, but i didnt like it there since i change stations ALOT. So i just modified the stock mount a lil bit, and have it sitting in the flat shelf area where my shifter is now, wires are exposed but it still does look nice since there is a orange menu color to choose from that looks exactly like the rest of the lights in the car :) I also wired up the power to another source in the dash instead of having the cig lighter used

brosher
08-23-2006, 07:28 AM
I just bought a sirius ready JVC deck. Then I bought the integrated adapter. I didn't want an extra display, it is so much cleaner with everything running through the head unit. I put the Sirius part in the glove box and ran the antenna wire under the center console and out into the trunk. The antenna is sitting behind the 3rd brake light on the trunk and havn't had any reception problems.

Kulasstar
08-23-2006, 11:01 AM
thanks for all the input guys. Im gonna pick one up this weekend. ill post the results.

E34 530
08-23-2006, 12:55 PM
here's my sirius radio I hardwired in place of the ashtray:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a314/ripcurl530/2006_0627Image0018.jpg

VentoGT
08-23-2006, 01:29 PM
I've got an Alpine CDA-9835 with the XM adapter so I can control through the head unit. I love Satellite radio.

Kulasstar
08-23-2006, 01:42 PM
i was thinkin about mounting up somewhere around the for light switch?
i wanna get that same unit like "e34 530's" but i want one with an amber backlight. do they come in those?

CrimsonBrian
08-23-2006, 06:13 PM
I have the Sirius One and love it and it is mounted to the windshield to the left of the driver. I originally wanted to put it near the ashtray but I ran out of antenna wire so its stuck there. I use the tape adapter which makes for great sound (the FM modulators suck). Also, RadioShack sells them for $19 after a $30 rebate. Good deal (although you get hammered on the service).

Derek A.
08-23-2006, 08:33 PM
http://www.opus45.com/pics/blau_xm.JPG

I have a Roady XT. Very small and the lighting matches the BMW dash very well.