PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust question

dbals
08-22-2006, 08:33 AM
Not sure Ive seen an exhaust like this before....what is the function of the part circled?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, just starting to do some research on exhaust and Im learning.

Monastie
08-22-2006, 01:22 PM
isnt it the cat? im a noob too btw...

Looks like: Front - Resonnators - Cat - Muffler - Rear

neil_004
08-22-2006, 01:27 PM
Front of the car is on the right of that picture. You can just see the trans.
Back is on the left. You are looking at the bottom of the trunk and can see the final drive.
From left to right:
Muffler, resonnator, cats, h or X pipe and then on to the headers and engine just outside the pic.

I think the resonnator helps cancel out some of the cabin noise. Not 100% sure on that one.

genphreak
08-24-2006, 09:24 AM
Front of the car is on the right of that picture. You can just see the trans.
Back is on the left. You are looking at the bottom of the trunk and can see the final drive.
From left to right:
Muffler, resonnator, cats, h or X pipe and then on to the headers and engine just outside the pic.

I think the resonnator helps cancel out some of the cabin noise. Not 100% sure on that one.That is a nice exhaust- perhasp a SuperSprint? Resonator (after the cats) is a vital deadener, without it you will go slowly mad driving the things as the harmonics are not just louder, they are transmitted through every sense until you leave the car screaming and they take u away in a straight-jacket.

I'd still go stock in preference to these setups. The mufflers are way better, not jerry-rigged glass packs that might just fit...

Yaninnya
08-24-2006, 12:42 PM
Not sure Ive seen an exhaust like this before....what is the function of the part circled?
It is first silencer, exactly as in standard exhaust.

dbals
08-24-2006, 03:06 PM
That is a nice exhaust- perhasp a SuperSprint? Resonator (after the cats) is a vital deadener, without it you will go slowly mad driving the things as the harmonics are not just louder, they are transmitted through every sense until you leave the car screaming and they take u away in a straight-jacket.

I'd still go stock in preference to these setups. The mufflers are way better, not jerry-rigged glass packs that might just fit...

So your saying you dont like the resonator delete idea.
My 540 actually has a supersprint muffler on it and I like the way it sounds, just wondering what it would sound like if I did the resonator delete or even a cat delete?
anyone have ideas? Would it make it to loud?
thx