PDA

View Full Version : Auto Gearchange "Flare"

Dolphinshape
08-22-2006, 04:01 AM
Hi...can anyone help?

I have a '92 525i with the ZF auto box and have just had it rebuilt after a "Trans Program" message. All is now fine, except that in both "E" and "S" Modes, changes from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd are somewhat slow, with (depending on throttle) about 500 to 700 RPM of Flare (like clutch slipping) between changes. From 3rd onward the changes are instant and smooth..
The original valve body was retained and not serviced and the OBC Module only had its error codes re-set.
The guys who did the tranny re-build (not BMW dealers) say that the box is fine and that the flare is normal..but it didn't do it before the blowup..so what's wrong?
Can anyone help with some advice or instructions to the mechanics?

632 Regal
08-22-2006, 09:53 AM
even if he thinks it is messed up he dont want to tear it back apart to figure it out. He figures if it blows up thats when he will tear it back down. the trans should not allow the rpms to raise between shifts (flare).

Dolphinshape
08-28-2006, 04:43 AM
Thanx Regal... Im gonna go see him and throw some toys out the cot.

genphreak
08-28-2006, 05:24 AM
Thanx Regal... Im gonna go see him and throw some toys out the cot.Yep. these transmissions are excellent- mine is 18 years old, has never been touched. Works just fine (touching synthetic wood). If abused they will fail as any will. But they are not hard to do a basic rebuild on, even if you are not experienced with ZF boxen. So long as you can read a book and take your time and/or search for some of Bill R's posts on the subject. You need a tech prepared to research the box and the methods used in fitting its particulars if they are not familiar with ZFs, else it will not be right and re-visiting the job could be more pain than the job is worth.