PDA

View Full Version : hissing noise from my 525tds

gsxr9
08-21-2006, 09:03 AM
hi guys got a bit of a problem hissing noise coming from the engine then im losing power has the turbo packed in if so could some one send me a link so i can see what it looks like and where it is on the engine :(

colo525i
08-21-2006, 09:20 AM
The turbo looks to be on the passenger side (if the car is LHD), but it sounds like it may be a loose hose/pipe that is leaking boost. Follow the pipes from the turbo around to the other side of the engine (intake side) See if you can isolate the noise along that path. There is a long route of tubing for the intake air to go through, my best guess is a leak in the intake, which will cause power losses.

gsxr9
08-21-2006, 09:24 AM
The turbo looks to be on the passenger side (if the car is LHD), but it sounds like it may be a loose hose/pipe that is leaking boost. Follow the pipes from the turbo around to the other side of the engine (intake side) See if you can isolate the noise along that path. There is a long route of tubing for the intake air to go through, my best guess is a leak in the intake, which will cause power losses.
thanks for that car is rhd will turbo be a black box with clips on

colo525i
08-21-2006, 11:27 AM
Black box with clips sounds like the air filter box. Best i can tell it should be behind that air filter box (towards passenger cabin) Turbocharger should look like this Click here for turbocharger pic (http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/gas/family1.jpg) The turbo is on the driver's side (since car is RHD) No e34 diesel in the USA (that i know of) so i am flying blind on what it looks like. If photos will help there are great parts diagrams at www.realoem.com Follow the pipe that comes out of the turbo and forward towards the radiator, it will go go the intercooler, also check the other end of the intercooler where it connects to the intake manifold of the engine

gsxr9
08-21-2006, 01:49 PM
Black box with clips sounds like the air filter box. Best i can tell it should be behind that air filter box (towards passenger cabin) Turbocharger should look like this Click here for turbocharger pic (http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/gas/family1.jpg) The turbo is on the driver's side (since car is RHD) No e34 diesel in the USA (that i know of) so i am flying blind on what it looks like. If photos will help there are great parts diagrams at www.realoem.com Follow the pipe that comes out of the turbo and forward towards the radiator, it will go go the intercooler, also check the other end of the intercooler where it connects to the intake manifold of the engine
sorted bottom hose had come off