PDA

View Full Version : Peake Code Reader Question and I already did a search and found nothing.

JKBe30m3
08-20-2006, 08:43 PM
I have a 94 540im and my check engine light was blinking for a few miles and then it stayed on. THe codes can up on the code reader as O2 sensor #2, throttle position sensor, and CAN message. I searched everywhere and I couldn't find out what CAN message means. Any help would be appreciated!

ThoreauHD
08-20-2006, 09:14 PM
Replace your two 02 sensors first. The ICV, Idle Control Valve may also need to be cleaned/replaced. Then check again. I don't know what CAN means either, but you have some bigger problems to look at first. Bad O2 and ICV can really make your car run like **** while it wastes gas at 3.50 a gallon.

neil_004
08-22-2006, 01:22 PM
http://members.roadfly.com/erichall/M60EngineSpecs.pdf

page 9 Last paragraph. CAN is the "Controller Area Network". It is a data bus between the between the transmission and engine control modules.

page 12
The CAN bus is a high speed data bus between the engine and transmission control module which allows the data to be transmitted in digital form (a "1 " or "O"). Previously, these data were converted into a different form of signal, i.e. a pulse of variable length and constant frequency, then converted back to digital form at the receiving control module. The CAN bus eliminates the need for this conversion of data and results in a more reliable method of data exchange. (See TRI 24 01 92 (2127) for details on CAN bus.)

Not sure what the error message means. But I hope this helps.