PDA

View Full Version : DOH!! Front strut boots & wheel bearings.

pundit
08-20-2006, 08:17 PM
With my E34 currently up on stands with the front suspension and steering components removed I realised I'd left something off my BMA shopping list.
Front strut boots. These are somewhat stuffed and as they are only a piece of lightweight concertina type plastic tubing I thought they shouldn't be too expensive to purchase from the local stealer.... yeah right (roll eyes)

BMA's price? $2.72 USD or around $3.60 AUS each ($7.20 pair)

The local stealers price.......?

Are you ready for this??!!

Are you SURE?....

$132.00 AUS a ****IN' PAIR!!!!

That's a price difference of 1,800%!!

Time to expose these ****in thieves on national television!!

Okay, now that I've got that of my **** is there a way to safely press out the old wheel bearings from the front ABS trigger ring hubs and replace them with another bearing or does the whole hub have to be purchased as a complete assembly? - TIA

rob101
08-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Okay, now that I've got that of my **** is there a way to safely press out the old wheel bearings from the front ABS trigger ring hubs and replace them with another bearing or does the whole hub have to be purchased as a complete assembly? - TIA
it is an assembly for the e34 and e28
you're talking about the front wheel bearings right?

Evan
08-20-2006, 10:18 PM
thanks for the laugh, mate! I have mine up too... let's post some pictures and share the knowledge

How far in are you?

BigKriss
08-20-2006, 10:42 PM
AUD$132 - Is that all? What are you complaining about?

With my E34 currently up on stands with the front suspension and steering components removed I realised I'd left something off my BMA shopping list.
Front strut boots. These are somewhat stuffed and as they are only a piece of lightweight concertina type plastic tubing I thought they shouldn't be too expensive to purchase from the local stealer.... yeah right (roll eyes)

BMA's price? $2.72 USD or around $3.60 AUS each ($7.20 pair)

The local stealers price.......?

Are you ready for this??!!

Are you SURE?....

$132.00 AUS a ****IN' PAIR!!!!

That's a price difference of 1,800%!!

Time to expose these ****in thieves on national television!!

pundit
08-20-2006, 11:22 PM
Item no. 10 is $132.00 a pair from the local stealer...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/j/q/78.png

I said to the spare parts guy....

"Listen mate, if you're going to rob me, at least point a ****in' 356 Magnum at my head and threaten to blow my brains out!... at least I'd respect you more for that. But to tell me a couple of pieces of plastic horse **** boots are worth a hundredand****ingthirtytwo****ing dollars!!??... well I hope that **** you're taking is good because it must cost a ****ing fortune and it must make you feel even better knowing that all the poor bastards that come into this god forsaken shithole are subsidising your habit!!"

Now as far as the front wheel bearings are concerned... item no. 1

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/h/r/50.png

The bearing and hub are all part of the one assembly.
I figure there maybe a way to press the old bearing out and replace it for a lot less than buying the whole shebang?

rob101
08-21-2006, 12:16 AM
Now as far as the front wheel bearings are concerned... item no. 1

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/h/r/50.png

The bearing and hub are all part of the one assembly.
I figure there maybe a way to press the old bearing out and replace it for a lot less than buying the whole shebang?
Yeah i looked into it for a while as my e28 needs new front wheel bearings
i am not aware of a way where you can. i think you'd have to pull it out and take a look. unless somewhere here knows more than myself
PS if BMW dealers are a rort, buy off BMA. not worth getting worked up about. however they are good on consumables i have found.

pundit
08-21-2006, 01:17 AM
Yeah i looked into it for a while as my e28 needs new front wheel bearings
i am not aware of a way where you can. i think you'd have to pull it out and take a look. unless somewhere here knows more than myself
PS if BMW dealers are a rort, buy off BMA. not worth getting worked up about. however they are good on consumables i have found.
Well I have already purchased around $1,900.00 AUD worth of parts from BMA.
Great service and prices. The second order only took three working days to arrive from California. To buy the same stuff locally would have cost between $3,500 to $4,500 AUD. So yes BMA has my vote. It's just a pain when you forget what should be a low cost item and yet the local stealer wants to charge you for an 'extreme makeover'.

"Now please tell me Mr Bimmer spare parts man. Do those strut boots come with a boob job, nose job, liposuction, new teeth, a nip & tuck, varicose vein removal and gonad enhancement?"

BillionPa
08-21-2006, 02:42 AM
remember, those are only for stock shocks. although, if they didnt come with your new shocks, you probably have stock anyway...

RobE34
08-21-2006, 02:50 AM
One of the local reputable bearing companies may be able to press them out and fit the new bearings. I don't know who's bearing s BMW use but I'd imagine they are not unique to BMW. Just a thought

BigKriss
08-21-2006, 03:52 AM
Rowan do you need the dust boots anyway, I'm not running any for the front.

NY535iManual
08-21-2006, 10:21 AM
Maybe you could cut the ends off of two plastic Red Bull cans and use those instead of the factory sleeves. They'll give you wings! ;)

632 Regal
08-21-2006, 11:43 AM
you should run the boots if you are in dirt country, if its not bad you can run without but the seals on the shocks wont last as long. better to do it all at one time.

the hubs are replaceable items, the bearings are part of the assembly. I think they were like 140ish from BMA when I last looked.