PDA

View Full Version : Oil change service bar

SnakeyesTx
08-20-2006, 02:39 PM
95/M50/525i, non-vanos, January 95 build date if info needed :

Changed oil, took off service port cover, used wire to connect pin 7 to 19 with the key in position 2 (the point right before it starts).

Tried this in several combinations.

* turned key to pos 2 first, then touched 7 to 19, waited 3 seconds, when nothing happened, waited an additional 15... still nothing

* touched 7 to 19 before turning key, then turned key to pos 2, still nothing for 20 seconds

* tried a second approach where you ground to the body and touch pin 7, in both combinations with key on first and key on after for 10-20 seconds... still nothing

I let all these run for the short time then the longer ones figuring that the service bar would go back into the green before I'd have to remove the wire. Since that never happend, I tried the longer time interval.

Tested my wire to make sure it wasn't broken internally and was okay. Running out of ideas on resetting this, and tried the searchable solutions (stated above) with no success. Any other methods to try?

Bimmerman
08-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Try Bill R's method, works for me.;)
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=11643&highlight=service+reset

SnakeyesTx
08-20-2006, 05:02 PM
Update : I thought this was a fluke but now that I filled it to ensure the code was a fake, I tried Bill R's way as well. The one constant in every way I've done this so far is that on the dash display it will say "Coolant Level" even though its full. When I put the cap back on the service port and turn the key back on, the message is gone.