PDA

View Full Version : Joining rear and mid mufflers

rob101
08-20-2006, 01:23 AM
Hello everyone, just recently got a boysen mid and rear mufflers from BMA and some welding sleeves to join them up. My question is do they need to be tack welded when mounted in position on the car or can they be welded with them off the car. also any tips on any special welding requirements would be appreciated.

bought a DEC cat as well. I hope it fits, damn steering box!

rob101
08-20-2006, 04:27 AM
bumpus maximus

nizmainiac
08-20-2006, 06:03 AM
tack them when they're on the car, that way you'll get it right

genphreak
08-20-2006, 06:40 AM
tack them when they're on the car, that way you'll get it rightYep, a few tacks is the only way. INstaqll everything with the hangers on properly first. Beware hav ing the pipes hitting the rear subframe within the throw afforded by the hangers/donuts.

And Rob, beware the cat- everything there is stainless. I'm no welding expert though from what I do know I think you'd be be better off with special wire for it. You certainly don't have to TIG it, but that's always nice if going for a pedantic finish and maximum longevity. I take it you're not going for polished ricer pipes mate?

btw; how much did it all cost your ass? Shipping mufflers from the US... ouch! I guess the Remus distrib up there didn't help you?

:) Nick

rob101
08-20-2006, 06:58 AM
Yep, a few tacks is the only way. INstaqll everything with the hangers on properly first. Beware hav ing the pipes hitting the rear subframe within the throw afforded by the hangers/donuts.

And Rob, beware the cat- everything there is stainless. I'm no welding expert though from what I do know I think you'd be be better off with special wire for it. You certainly don't have to TIG it, but that's always nice if going for a pedantic finish and maximum longevity. I take it you're not going for polished ricer pipes mate?

btw; how much did it all cost your ass? Shipping mufflers from the US... ouch! I guess the Remus distrib up there didn't help you?

:) Nick
well the cats came complete with the front pipes, so they are okay. but the remus dude in sydney quoted me the same amount for only the mid and rear muffler that i ended up paying for the front pipe with cat and mid and rear mufflers .

polished ricer pipes? i have BMW exhaust tips, went OEM Boysen gear so i guess its not ricey i am not really one to give a damn about exhausts to be honest. mild steel is fine by me, we don't have salted roads and the original system was still okay after 14 years so i'll take my mild steel thanks!