PDA

View Full Version : (Lower) threshold thermostat & temperature switch for E34

ktteoh
08-18-2006, 10:01 AM
are there thermostat & temperature switch (for auxillary fan) that kicks in at lower than the default temperature.

i want the temperature needle to between 1/4 & 1/2 mark rather than 1/2 mark at the moment.

i'm already running the default (larger) tropicalized radiator from bmw.

what are the options ? - i live in tropics which is pretty hot all year round what more the current heat wave round the globe.

Bill R.
08-18-2006, 10:22 AM
aux. fan switch from bmp design here at this link (http://www.bmpdesign.com/product-exec/product_id/3604/search_year/1993/search_model/48)
The auxillary fan doesn't kick on until about 3/4 gauge anyway though and with the lower temp switch it still kicks on above 1/2. A lower temp thermostat may lower the operating temp at the gauge a little but i don't think you'll get it down to 1/4 without having an effect on the motronic controls. The engine computer uses engine temp to determine how rich the fuel mixture should be and how much timing advance it should have. There's nothing wrong with running the car exactly at half as long as you ensure that it doesn't run above that half. Here the lower temp auxillary fan switch is not a bad idea since mine frequently will hit that 3/4 mark on a 110F day in heavy stop and go traffic.

are there thermostat & temperature switch (for auxillary fan) that kicks in at lower than the default temperature.

i want the temperature needle to between 1/4 & 1/2 mark rather than 1/2 mark at the moment.

i'm already running the default (larger) tropicalized radiator from bmw.

what are the options ? - i live in tropics which is pretty hot all year round what more the current heat wave round the globe.

winfred
08-18-2006, 11:23 AM
i have yet to find a thermostat that will get a e34/32 temp gauge much if anything below half, the gauge is dampened to run pretty much in the center and takes more then a few degrees to move it more then a hair