PDA

View Full Version : My speedo stopping working?

pundit
08-18-2006, 06:16 AM
This morning when I left for work I noticed my speedo indicator was not working.
Correspondingly the odometer and the ODB's KM's remaining were also stuck in a time warp. After I'd travelled about 5kms everything came back to life.

It was fairly cool this morning around 5 celcius. I'm figuring either something temperature related or a loose connection between the speed sensor and DME.

nizmainiac
08-18-2006, 06:22 AM
i had a simalar problem when i changed my engine, i left the gearbox in place and didn't disturb anything , when i took it out for a test drive the speedo wasn't working, but when i drove it the next day it was fine and has been scince, weird

Robke
08-18-2006, 08:23 AM
could be the 2 condensators in the instrument cluster, i had the same problem, changed them and everything is working fine since, i think on the site of Shogun you can see how to do it.

shogun
08-18-2006, 08:29 AM
capacitors, my friend.
Get out the soldering iron.
40 minutes and it is done.

Bill R.
08-18-2006, 09:44 AM
brake pedal after starting the car that morning? If so then it is probably the capacitors as others have suggested, I would check the connection at the speedo sensor back at the diff, if it was that cold then its possible that it was a bad connection.

This morning when I left for work I noticed my speedo indicator was not working.
Correspondingly the odometer and the ODB's KM's remaining were also stuck in a time warp. After I'd travelled about 5kms everything came back to life.

It was fairly cool this morning around 5 celcius. I'm figuring either something temperature related or a loose connection between the speed sensor and DME.

Craigfuzz1
08-18-2006, 12:31 PM
Could I be having the same problems with my '86 535i?

Robke
08-18-2006, 07:57 PM
oeps, yes, the capacitors, and don't forget to disconect the battery, i did forget it and had to reset the car to get rid of the airbag control warninglight on the dash.
You should always disconnect the battery when working on the electrical system ofcourse.
My car did'nt " bong " or made any other noises , the speedo just did'nt work properly

Alexlind123
08-18-2006, 08:07 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~fongman1/repairpages/instrumentclusterrepair.html

pundit
08-19-2006, 12:17 AM
Did the chime go bong the first time you hit the brake pedal after starting the car that morning? If so then it is probably the capacitors as others have suggested, I would check the connection at the speedo sensor back at the diff, if it was that cold then its possible that it was a bad connection.
Nope... no bongs... or even gongs for that matter! :)
Has worked fine since.