PDA

View Full Version : My bmw will not let me go above 130 mph

eliotgreen
08-18-2006, 04:16 AM
I tried searching the forums but to no avail. It would not surprise me if I missed it, but I wasn't really sure of the best terminology to find stuff on this topic. As the title says...

I recently completed about a 2300 mile drive from Dallas Texas to Washington state and got my 95 525I up to 130mph on the highway. However when I reached 130mph the engine would drop back in rpms until I reached 125mph or so and then if I continued to floor the gas, would return to 130. I'm pretty sure the trip computers max speed control is not active, and if it is I certainly don't understand why it would be at 130mph.

I've only owned my car about a month probably, so i'm still learning this one.

Help me out sirs, I would greatly appreciate it.

1995 BMW 525I E34
102K Miles

http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photo/photo01/10/b6/6badd5b44cac.jpg?tw=305&th=228&_rh=6wkheg45nzy8ht9tivhypbs2k
I snapped this picture right as the engine started to cut back.
And also to anyone wondering I did do this in the middle of the night in the middle of kansas soo, no one was at risk other than myself.

shogun
08-18-2006, 04:43 AM
Unfortunately you live in the land of the free, where the electronic speed limiter acts at 130 mph. ;)
525 outside the US do not have such speed limitation.

That has nothing to do with your trip computer, that's is the in MOTRONIC.

eliotgreen
08-18-2006, 04:55 AM
So how do I disable that bs man?

shogun
08-18-2006, 05:04 AM
A new performance chip which also will do max speed limter away, I also have another chip in, as my 750 was limited to 250 kmh.
Something like this, example only!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-92-BMW-E36-325i-is-E34-525-Ecu-402-Performance-Chip_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33597QQihZ015QQite mZ250019842745QQrdZ1QQtcZphoto
Do a search on the board for performance chips, some people can recommend something which is probably better than the cheap stuff from the Bay.

eliotgreen
08-18-2006, 05:07 AM
Thanks much.

zygoteer
08-18-2006, 06:40 PM
My BMW will not let me go above approx. 142 mph as well, so does anyone know if the normal Euro 535 is limited by the DME ?
(I have always thought it was because it just runs out of power etc.)

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-18-2006, 06:44 PM
the slow pokes infront of me.

SharkmanBMW
08-18-2006, 06:47 PM
So how do I disable that bs man?

http://www.dsylva-tech.ca/

I don't think the main purpose of the chip is to go faster, just better performance in general, but it will remove the limiter.

mzarifkar
08-18-2006, 09:17 PM
i see you are in S3, i never knew that S3 eventually upshifted to 4th gear.

RobPatt
08-18-2006, 09:20 PM
sure as hell hope you don't kill yourself or worse, anyone else, on our highways doing 130mph.

and to minimize that risk you've got full attention to what's going on outside the car...(not taking pix of the speedo)... and that your car is in "bristol" shape to be driving nearly twice the limit in most states.....

My actual question is, though, if it went 135 or 140mph what would you be asking.... or if you got the EAT, just how fast would you go?

I tried searching the forums but to no avail. It would not surprise me if I missed it, but I wasn't really sure of the best terminology to find stuff on this topic. As the title says...

I recently completed about a 2300 mile drive from Dallas Texas to Washington state and got my 95 525I up to 130mph on the highway. However when I reached 130mph the engine would drop back in rpms until I reached 125mph or so and then if I continued to floor the gas, would return to 130. I'm pretty sure the trip computers max speed control is not active, and if it is I certainly don't understand why it would be at 130mph.

I've only owned my car about a month probably, so i'm still learning this one.

Help me out sirs, I would greatly appreciate it.

1995 BMW 525I E34
102K Miles

http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photo/photo01/10/b6/6badd5b44cac.jpg?tw=305&th=228&_rh=6wkheg45nzy8ht9tivhypbs2k
I snapped this picture right as the engine started to cut back.
And also to anyone wondering I did do this in the middle of the night in the middle of kansas soo, no one was at risk other than myself.

Alexlind123
08-18-2006, 09:22 PM
i see you are in S3, i never knew that S3 eventually upshifted to 4th gear.

It doesnt. Your transmission isnt shifting into final gear, thats why you cant go faster. Put the transmission in "D" and try it.

califblue
08-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Oh Great another I am Holy than Thou...
lets see you buy what is advertised as the Ultimate Driving machine ( which it is not unless you bought an M3 or M5) which most of us have gone through the expense ( Bet you don’t even wrench what you own) of upgrading the suspension & tires and you are NOT suppose to new Push it...Please

I have driven ever single vehicle I have ever owned like I stole it ( maturity is a high price to pay for growing up) and I well continue to do so;)

I well guarantee you I well be doing 150mph plus MPH at about 5:30 AM tomorrow morning on my Ducati to the meeting point where I well continue to ride between 80-120 MPH up a twisty mountain road for 29 more miles.

If you happen to have the attention span of a Nat or lack driving skills please do not try this in you own car....it may result in DEATH:(

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-18-2006, 10:03 PM
picking his next evolutionary deadend.

bagpuss
08-18-2006, 10:05 PM
However when I reached 130mph the engine would drop back in rpms until I reached 125mph or so and then if I continued to floor the gas, would return to

I would have thought 130mph for a 525 of that era even without limiter is about right (maybe only 5mph short) and I seriously doubt the suggestions that a chip would improve that top end significantly - they were only good for an unlimited 140 approx at a push when new and losing 10 mph after over 10 years might be considered reasonable.... Want more, get a 540 or M5 and remove the 155 limit :-)

RobPatt
08-18-2006, 10:05 PM
and well said... :)

picking his next evolutionary deadend.

califblue
08-18-2006, 10:10 PM
Darwin or his Monkey’s didn't know how to drive or Hold a competition license ;)( Automobile & Motorcycle)

Drive Fast and Take chances and Please Get the **** out of my Way…if you are not passing people you have no business in the fast lane PERIOD

califblue
08-18-2006, 10:11 PM
very well put bagpuss:)

RobPatt
08-18-2006, 10:13 PM
...not the highways where folks literally earn a living, go on vacation, commute to and from work and school....

Darwin or his Monkey’s didn't know how to drive or Hold a competition license ;)( Automobile & Motorcycle)

Drive Fast and Take chances and Please Get the **** out of my Way…if you are not passing people you have no business in the fast lane PERIOD

BillionPa
08-18-2006, 10:14 PM
210mph at 6000RPMs in 5th baby!

winfred
08-18-2006, 10:19 PM
my truck's gearing won't let me go over 95-100 but it's belching out a sweet cloud burning that much fuel and gets there quickly :D

632 Regal
08-18-2006, 10:26 PM
is this the dude from the drier video?

califblue
08-18-2006, 10:30 PM
Rob point taken, why do you think my friends and I leave at 5:30 AM (read it is Dark)...in the 32 freeway miles in the car pool lane we on an average see 15 cars! ( zero in the car pool lane) and this is from the Beach area all the way through downtown LA to the mountains...I have to admit we look like a CHP training exercise that has gone to ****:D ( one of my friends is a CHP officer and another is a Medical DR.)

We don’t do anything to endanger the general public…(the 150 +mph is on a enclosed stretch with 5ft high concrete walls on either side that is 1.3 miles long) we a normally cruse at 110-115 MPH ( on a BIG sport bike that is just getting ‘ rolling;) )

We all do track day in our cars( BMW, Corvetts, Porsches, Subarus) & motorcycles every other month. I would consider us the upper echelon of drivers on the road…hence my attitude

Hell in Californian we give licenses to illegal immigrants of every country!:(

ThoreauHD
08-19-2006, 12:40 PM
There is an EATS chip and Turner motorsports(Jim Conforti) chip that will remove the limiter of BMW's. On the newer models, there is a shark programmer rather than a physical eprom replacement. It's very easy to do. You just pull stright up on the ECU brass clips hard and pull the sucker out, pop the chip in, and put it back in. It makes a big difference in casual driving, but also removes the speed limiter. On a 2.5 liter, I'm not sure that'll you'll get that much more out of it, but it's worth a try. You will have to use 91 octane gas or better from now on though.

My opinion on speed is that it's as relative as time. If you can control it, then good. If you can't then you die. The speed laws are there because some dumbass couldn't control his vehicle, not because cars can't handle that speed. It's an arbitrary number chosen in most cases, but if going by law it should be the speed at which your car can glide in a controlled fashion with little friction between you and the road. Like if there were ice or water or oil along the entire stretch of road. At least that's what my physics professor and driving instructor used to say. It didn't make sense to me, but few unnatural laws do.

Alexlind123
08-19-2006, 01:36 PM
you are NOT suppose to new Push it...Please

The pedal wouldnt go to the floor if it werent meant to.