PDA

View Full Version : what size tyres to buy...

bayviewsbb
08-18-2006, 12:53 AM
Running a 1990 535 and looking to upgrade from standard 15" wheels and Pirelli's, to a set of seventeens and ? What is the recommendation and state of happiness out there for tyre size...Been suggested go with 18" and very low profiles to avoid rubbing etc...but given Oz roads are generally shithouse and current set-up absorbs everything...would appreciate some feedback on sacrificing a little comfort for better asethetics...
So would love to hear back what combination upgrades have worked for you...
Cheers,
bayviewsbb

New Owner 95 E34
08-18-2006, 12:59 AM
but I have 17's and 235/45/17's on my other car (2002 Volvo S60 w/ sport tuning package), and I'm almost considering going to smaller rims and thicker rubber after a few weeks of driving my "new to me" '95 530i with the stock rims and rubber. The ride comfort gained seems MUCH greater than the handling performance lost between the setups. Of course... that could be due to the fact that a 91 Bimmer is still a better handling car than a volvo more than 10 years younger!

Zeuk in Oz
08-18-2006, 01:00 AM
Running a 1990 535 and looking to upgrade from standard 15" wheels and Pirelli's, to a set of seventeens and ? What is the recommendation and state of happiness out there for tyre size...Been suggested go with 18" and very low profiles to avoid rubbing etc...but given Oz roads are generally shithouse and current set-up absorbs everything...would appreciate some feedback on sacrificing a little comfort for better asethetics...
So would love to hear back what combination upgrades have worked for you...
Cheers,
bayviewsbb
Just a word of caution. Check you tyre placard and if it does not show a 17" option, contact your insurer and your state's roads authority (RTA if you are in NSW) to ensure that they are happy with the 17" wheels.

My understanding is that you have to source a new placard from BMW with the tyre size on it that you are contemplating and affix that to your car.

Better to ask the questions now than to find out that you are not insured if you have an accident. :)

New Owner 95 E34
08-18-2006, 01:00 AM
but I have 17's and 235/45/17's on my other car (2002 Volvo S60 w/ sport tuning package), and I'm almost considering going to smaller rims and thicker rubber after a few weeks of driving my "new to me" '95 530i with the stock rims and rubber. The ride comfort gained seems MUCH greater than the handling performance lost between the setups. Of course... that could be due to the fact that a 91 Bimmer is still a better handling car than a volvo more than 10 years younger!

Ok.... my math on the age difference was off there... but I've had a few beers... cut me some slack!

angrypancake
08-18-2006, 01:07 AM
if your roads are crap, go with 17's, and get really good tires....

Paul in NZ
08-18-2006, 05:10 AM
if you go 17 then 235 45 17 is the "standard size" and retains speedo accuracy if you wabt bigger then decrease profile slightly as per this (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/wheels_upgrade.htm) info

kev535i
08-18-2006, 08:04 PM
235 45 17 for me and no prob on the rough adelaide roads

bayviewsbb
08-19-2006, 08:57 PM
G'day guys,
Many thanks for your input as to what tyre to go with..and to you Zeuk, thanks for reminding me to check it out with the RTA before doing anything...
All the best,
George