PDA

View Full Version : What are my shocks options

Monastie
08-17-2006, 04:23 PM
If I get H&R springs?

My mecanician recommended billstain (however its spelled) shocks, but he quoted me 1000$ for the whole set of springs+shocks....

What are my other options to get a lower better handling car? :D

Tiger
08-17-2006, 04:39 PM
Electrical or Physical?

Bilstein Sport Shocks or Koni Adjustable Sport... buy online

Bill R.
08-17-2006, 05:03 PM
mecanician;)

If I get H&R springs?

My mecanician recommended billstain (however its spelled) shocks, but he quoted me 1000$ for the whole set of springs+shocks....

What are my other options to get a lower better handling car? :D

Anton CH.
08-17-2006, 05:15 PM
There's plenty of option as far as spring/shock combination, really depends on what you want.
Buy from shox.com ...great guy.

Qube
08-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Once more opinions come in (and you do a SEARCH, please!), you'll see that Bilstein really rings true (billstain) ... when it leaks and you need to warranty replace them :) again... do some searches and draw your own conclusion...

Monastie
08-17-2006, 09:25 PM
^^uh oh... did i just get a ticket? :D

Qube
08-17-2006, 09:48 PM
^^uh oh... did i just get a ticket? :D

Nah, I found your post amusing whether intentional or not :) Do go ahead and search though and let us know what you think... then the more learned individuals here will judge and brand you forever based on your decision heh. Personally though, I have no real comment on this subject other than the above. I have adjustable Konis yet to put in so no comparison to the Bilsteins.

SC David
08-18-2006, 01:57 AM
I have H&R's with KYB shocks, which are essentially an alternative to the stock OEM Boge's. It allows for a nice drop with much improved handling, but without a jarring ride that many complain about with the Bilsteins. Koni adjustables are for sure the ultimate, but I was on a budget when I got my setup and the KYB's were very affordable, and so far I have been happy with my decision.

wingman
08-18-2006, 03:23 AM
" what you need is agility linked to calmness, which is good for driver confidence. None of the responses (from the suspension) should be delayed or aggressive"

This is from Gavan Kershaw, a Lotus dynamics engineer. He goes on to say that you don't need a rock solid ride for good handling. A jittery car will cause nervousness in the driver.

A lot of experts like Gavan that I have read about reccomend soft springs and tight dampers/shocks for road cars. Do a search and some extra research and have a think. I put Bilsteins on standard springs in my E12 and it was a heavenly mix of ride + handling. I'm about to put Bilstein Sport shocks with my standard springs on the E34. I don't want to lose the beautiful ride but wish to tighten handling a little. Good luck with your search!

Qube
08-18-2006, 06:54 AM
I have H&R's with KYB shocks, which are essentially an alternative to the stock OEM Boge's. It allows for a nice drop with much improved handling, but without a jarring ride that many complain about with the Bilsteins. Koni adjustables are for sure the ultimate, but I was on a budget when I got my setup and the KYB's were very affordable, and so far I have been happy with my decision.

You're talking about KYB AGXs right? Not the 'standard' KYBs?

Bill R.
08-18-2006, 08:06 AM
kyb gr2

You're talking about KYB AGXs right? Not the 'standard' KYBs?

SC David
08-18-2006, 01:40 PM
kyb gr2
Yup.

gtopaul
08-18-2006, 08:55 PM
The best shock KYB made was the Gas-A-Just. I tried the GR2's on my E32 because the Gas-A-Just isn't made in a strut insert. I was very disappointed. The car rode like a Cadillac. Way too little road feel for my tastes. Currently using Bilstein Touring on both my 540 and 525iT and they are OK but not much different than the BOGE Turbo Gas. I think I prefer the BOGE's. I used Bilstein Sports on my Volvo wagon, the wifes car, and I thought she was going to shoot me. For the first month the ride was absolutely horrible and I considered taking them back off but instead left them on a little longer. After about two months the ride was better and now the car corners better than any of my Bimmers.

Paul

Monastie
08-19-2006, 12:06 PM
i read a little on bmwe34.net, but im still very confused because i dont realy have a website that offers a variety of shocks to be able to compare prices.... if anyone knows of a website that does, I'd realy appreciated such an info.

Sam

Tiger
08-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Ya... they do soften up after a while...

mamilapon
08-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Sounds sooooo sophisticated!!