PDA

View Full Version : Design 2 vs Design 3 19# Injectors

tvurt
08-17-2006, 02:12 PM
I have read the archives regarding the 19# injectors, and there seems to be a problem with the fit of the design 3 injectors. (length, o-rings ect.)

Has anyone experienced any long term problems with the Design 3's?

If you are using the 2, or 3 series are you happy with them?

Which would you buy today?

M30, - trying to get to 400,000 miles . . ..

Thanks

Tom

ps. My first post here, hello all.

BillionPa
08-17-2006, 02:59 PM
the fit problem should be regarding the wiring harness, as they need an adapter to fit. the o-ring and size should be the same.

design 3 are superior injectors and provide more atomization by spinning the injector head at high speed (i think)

Alexlind123
08-17-2006, 03:01 PM
I have design 3 19# injectors and there is no noticable difference bewteen them and the stock injectors. They plug in normally with no adapter.

tvurt
08-17-2006, 03:47 PM
Hmm maybe I should post a poll?

50% say need adapter, 50% no adapter.

I think we need a larger sample! ;)

Alexlind123
08-17-2006, 03:48 PM
Hmm maybe I should post a poll?

50% say need adapter, 50% no adapter.

I think we need a larger sample! ;)

I dont think billionpa has installed them. Besides, he doesnt even have the M30 engine.

Mr Project
08-17-2006, 10:44 PM
I have an M30, with the Design 3 injectors from fiveomotorsports. I didn't need any wiring adapters, they plugged right in. I did oval the bolt holes that mount the fuel rail slightly. The design 3 injectors have a slightly shorter body than the OEM BMW injectors, IIRC, and I felt better about the seal when I cranked down the fuel rail slightly.

I also used new o-rings from BMA that came with my head gasket set. The ford o-rings on the injectors from fiveomotorsports weren't a very tight fit in the rail or in the head. The BMW-sized o-rings fit on just fine and were a good fit in the rail and the head.

BillionPa
08-18-2006, 01:37 AM
sorry sorry... i was thinking you were talking about the 20# injectors... but im not sure if they need adapters either, someone had said that the "upgraded" injectors used an oval style connector and our cars have rectangular plugs... or something.

genphreak
08-18-2006, 01:51 AM
sorry sorry... i was thinking you were talking about the 20# injectors... but im not sure if they need adapters either, someone had said that the "upgraded" injectors used an oval style connector and our cars have rectangular plugs... or something.Most Design 3s have the updated harness connector, one has to be careful to get the right ones that use the same old Bosch pigtails we have on an e34.

Design 3 may (or may not) have caused a slight off-idle hesitation on my car with the stock chip. Not sure yet what caused it.

Don't know if they cause any real benefit. I think if they cost me a lot I'd stick with the BMW specified ones for piece of mind. Mine were cheap pulls from some old GM V8, so now I have 2 spare :).

:) Nick