PDA

View Full Version : EML/ASC question?

pundit
08-16-2006, 06:28 PM
My 535iA (Australian delivery - build date 12/89) while not actually fitted with EML/ASC has both EML and ASC indicator lamps fitted to the instrument cluster.
I read that ASC was not available on E34 535's until around the middle of 1990, though it was available earlier on E32 735's.... just curious?

Also was does ASC really stand for? I see it mostly referred to as 'Automatic Stability Control', however I've also seen it referred to as 'Anti Slip Control' and to me this is a far more correct description.

Then there is 'ASC' and 'ASC+T' (http://www.mz3.net/articles/115.html)... the later being referred to as 'Automatic Stability Control' plus 'Traction' control. This terminology would suggest that apart from controlling wheelspin the system also applies braking force to individual wheels to help stablilise the car under certain conditions... AKA 'Dynamic Stability Control'... though I thought this was only available on later vehicles like the E39 and after?

On the E34's does ASC only reduce engine power to prevent wheelspin or also apply the brakes to individual driving wheels to prevent the wheelspin?

Fetch
08-16-2006, 09:09 PM
I would also like to know the exact definition and workings of these slightly different features!

BillionPa
08-17-2006, 01:56 AM
+T uses the brakes.

Bill R.
08-17-2006, 10:41 AM
common, every dash that i've had out has had the indicator for eml on it just no bulb in it usually. Here's the info that i've posted many times in the past on asc and the various generations and what they control. The last column tells you what is controlledhttp://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/ASC.jpg

My 535iA (Australian delivery - build date 12/89) while not actually fitted with EML/ASC has both EML and ASC indicator lamps fitted to the instrument cluster.
I read that ASC was not available on E34 535's until around the middle of 1990, though it was available earlier on E32 735's.... just curious?

Also was does ASC really stand for? I see it mostly referred to as 'Automatic Stability Control', however I've also seen it referred to as 'Anti Slip Control' and to me this is a far more correct description.

Then there is 'ASC' and 'ASC+T' (http://www.mz3.net/articles/115.html)... the later being referred to as 'Automatic Stability Control' plus 'Traction' control. This terminology would suggest that apart from controlling wheelspin the system also applies braking force to individual wheels to help stablilise the car under certain conditions... AKA 'Dynamic Stability Control'... though I thought this was only available on later vehicles like the E39 and after?

On the E34's does ASC only reduce engine power to prevent wheelspin or also apply the brakes to individual driving wheels to prevent the wheelspin?

pundit
08-18-2006, 06:09 AM
common, every dash that i've had out has had the indicator for eml on it just no bulb in it usually. Here's the info that i've posted many times in the past on asc and the various generations and what they control. The last column tells you what is controlled
Cheers! Thanks Bill! :)

BMW 5 SERIES
08-18-2006, 06:17 AM
Sorry for the off topic but E28 also have the EML light. Were EML available at E28