PDA

View Full Version : 3rd gear synchro

caster
04-06-2004, 08:07 AM
Took the '90 535 to my Indy and he tells me the 3rd gear syhcro is going and no fix other than replacing the tranny. Not what I expected to hear. Then he says a used 5 speed is about $1000, plus another $450 labor.
Anyone has experince with replacing their 5sp gearbox, does this make sense?? Car has 133k miles, redline thruout. :(

Unregistered
04-06-2004, 08:47 AM
Why is there "no other fix"? Can't they just replace the synchro ring, a $20 part? I have done my older BMW transmissions several times, but I am not familiar with that particular unit. I don't have my service manual handy to see how complex the job is. It still won't be cheap to take apart but should be a lot less than $1500.

Dennis

Jeff N.
04-06-2004, 02:02 PM
The Getrag tranny is a press-fit type. You press the case halves together and the shafts into the bearings. Basically, if you open the case up, you need to replace all the bearings.

Jeff

Warren N.CA
04-06-2004, 02:51 PM
whatever you now use (probably MTL) to something else.- Maybe RedLine D4 ATF, or some other good tranny lube. Many people tell of fixing such marginal problems with a lube change.

Took the '90 535 to my Indy and he tells me the 3rd gear syhcro is going and no fix other than replacing the tranny. Not what I expected to hear. Then he says a used 5 speed is about $1000, plus another $450 labor.
Anyone has experince with replacing their 5sp gearbox, does this make sense?? Car has 133k miles, redline thruout. :(