PDA

View Full Version : What's that plastic bead on the bottom of the doors (under trim)?

mancini_mark
08-16-2006, 08:21 AM
Hi everyone,

I spent the day yesterday grinding rust off the bottom of my doors. I'm putting POR-15 on it today.

I was just wondering what that plasticized bead is and what it's for. I thought it was a weld, but it's definitely plastic. Some of it fell off when I pulled the trim pieces off. Do I need to replace it? Is it critical? Will the lower trim stay on ok without it?

Thanks,

Mark

GoldenOne
08-16-2006, 08:36 AM
If it was behind the trim pieces and plastic, I would imagine its to reduce vibrations? I dont know just a guess...

RichO
08-16-2006, 08:45 AM
I believe its seam filler. Probably there to keep water from wicking up and causing rust between the inner and outer door skin. Worked real good:(

Most of mine fell off too when I replaced my trim pieces. It did help make the trim fit on tighter but so far they have stayed on without it.

mancini_mark
08-16-2006, 08:50 AM
That's good news I guess. So, should I just leave what's left? I think the POR-15 should take care of the rusty business, so I probably don't need to worry about wicking.

Thanks

M

RichO
08-16-2006, 10:01 AM
Yep , the parts that were still stuck on solid I left attached.