PDA

View Full Version : '90 535i head removal with both manifolds on

Dash01
08-15-2006, 11:02 PM
Has anybody removed the head (for HG replacement) with both the intake and exhaust manifolds still bolted on?

If so, how difficult is this?

How hard to remove the exhaust manifold to exh. pipe bolts? (on left hand drive US version car)?

Need a stout hoist to lift the head/manifold assembly, or two strong guys?

Suggestions or recomendations?

SnakeyesTx
08-15-2006, 11:26 PM
I'd imagine an engine hoist and a load balancer/spreader to lift that out. That's a LOT of mass and awkward weight. Chances are you'll have to take everything off regardless though due to accessory brackets bolted through the front of the head.

Jon K
08-16-2006, 01:07 AM
Its not bad - I just removed an S52 head with a turbo manifold still attached - manifold was made of schedule 10 or 40 pipe... it was HEAVY. Me and the owner removed the head by hand simple as pie.

genphreak
08-16-2006, 05:38 AM
When I do it again I will definately leave the intake manifold on. The exhaust manifold is 2 pieces on the M30 and both hang down, I think on the US version the front manifold output extends all the way along to where the rear manifold pipe terminates (which is where you have to remove the engine pipes at back of the engine bay near the firewall). Beware of engine pipes that have a flexible joint- these can break if you start wrekching rusty or otherwise fused connections.

This is where your trouble lies- you need to remove these and getting in there must be much easier on an LHD (no steering box to get in the way like Ozzies and Poms have to live with) so you should be able to do it just fine (you need to get underneath the car with a ratchet). Be careful here when you put it back on, the connection springs should compress but not be squashed to death so don't tighten these nuts too much.

However pulling it and then undoing the bolts means you need to carefully rest the head on a bench with chocks and so on, and not slip (The valves all stick out so it is very easy to damage one. This is much easier if you are out to undo all the rusty exhaust nuts as they can be tough/rusted. If you do them on the motor nothing will be damaged- except perhaps your hands and the nuts which you will need to replace anyway... :) Nick

winfred
08-16-2006, 08:18 AM
doable just heavy as **** and prone to grating the paint off the fender as you try to manuver it out of the engine compartment

Mr Project
08-16-2006, 08:25 AM
I did mine by myself on an M30 with the intake still attached. No hoist, I just lifted it out. The exhaust manifolds would add, what, another 25 pounds? 2 guys could handle the weight no problem. It is a little tricky, though, since you have to watch for the valves as mentioned.

Personally I don't think the exhaust manifolds are all that tough to get off while still in the car (LHD). I'd try and remove them if possible. I would leave the intake, though, for sure.

Hector
08-16-2006, 09:00 AM
but I took both manifolds off before pulling the head off the block. For installation, the intake was attached to the head. I remember that otherwise it was tedious and perhaps impossible to torque some intake bolts with the head already mounted.

I did mine by myself on an M30 with the intake still attached. No hoist, I just lifted it out. The exhaust manifolds would add, what, another 25 pounds? 2 guys could handle the weight no problem. It is a little tricky, though, since you have to watch for the valves as mentioned.

Personally I don't think the exhaust manifolds are all that tough to get off while still in the car (LHD). I'd try and remove them if possible. I would leave the intake, though, for sure.

Bill R.
08-16-2006, 09:42 AM
easier to snap a timing chain guide if you're not careful and lift it straight up high enough to clear it.

Has anybody removed the head (for HG replacement) with both the intake and exhaust manifolds still bolted on?

If so, how difficult is this?

How hard to remove the exhaust manifold to exh. pipe bolts? (on left hand drive US version car)?

Need a stout hoist to lift the head/manifold assembly, or two strong guys?

Suggestions or recomendations?

Jon K
08-16-2006, 09:44 AM
And just to add one more poitn about the valves, some people don't understand that there will be valves STICKING OUT OF THE BOTTOM OF THE HEAD. If you pick it up to remove it, MEAN IT, and remove it because if you drop it down on the head to rest or reposition, you're very likely to break a lot of ****.