PDA

View Full Version : Dino or Synthetic

632 Regal
08-15-2006, 12:05 PM
without going into explanations or weights, what oil do you use?

puppypilgrim
08-15-2006, 12:07 PM
without going into explanations or weights, what oil do you use?

1990 Alpina B10 Bi-Turbo (based on e34 535i). Dino oil.

bjl4776
08-15-2006, 12:11 PM
I like to use synthetic, but since i work at a shop that i get free oil at I use dino, but I change it once a week, regardless of the mileage. I could put 2 or 200, still once a week. My oil looks brand new every time I change it. And I change the filter every 5000

brosher
08-15-2006, 12:18 PM
I'm on dino right now in the 540i. I will eventually switch, but am going to wait until all my other issues are ironned out. Don't want to risk starting an oil leak when I already have a laundry list of things to do...

Bimmerman
08-15-2006, 12:20 PM
Synthetic, works well in the engine, not so good if the lid comes off the bottle in the boot (trunk) though..., on a brighter note, at least my carpet doesn't squeak. :D

tim
08-15-2006, 01:02 PM
Mobil 1 0w40

GoldenOne
08-15-2006, 01:06 PM
i may switch to synthetic sooner or later...i just get a better price on dino from my indy ($1 a quart!)

Alexlind123
08-15-2006, 01:13 PM
I use Dino because its what my dad buys for me. Free oil > Expensive oil. I will switch to synthetic when i start buying it myself.

mikell
08-15-2006, 01:14 PM
215,000 miles and doesn't use oil between changes, so synthetic is the only one for me. I'm shooting for 300 k without major engine work.

Jay 535i
08-15-2006, 01:50 PM
I use dino oil because it's a devil I know. All the horror stories of switching to synthetic scare me. I could still be convinced, though, maybe...

I use synthetic in my other car which had only 90,000km on the clock when I acquired it (versus 215,000km on the BMW). I've been using synthetic in that car since I got it and it runs beautifully.

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-15-2006, 02:27 PM
Cause it tastes grrrreat!

SharkmanBMW
08-15-2006, 03:46 PM
If the people voting for "who the **** is Winfred" actually use dino, plus those confirmed... there are a lot of you still using it!

For the weekly oil change guy... your engine may still get more wear using brand new dino, than old syn. - so your weekly change seems a little outrageous, even if it is free!

mikell
08-15-2006, 04:09 PM
Less filling!!

rob101
08-15-2006, 04:31 PM
Synthetico, didn't even flush the old dino either. engine has not exploded or anything similar.

Jehu
08-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Are any of you aware there is speculation that petroleum is NOT bio based but is a product of geology? Isn't the prevailing science that oil is derived from decayed plant and animal life, hence Dino(saur) ?This book http://shop.wnd.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=1769 says the following;

In "Black Gold Stranglehold," Jerome Corsi and Craig Smith expose the fraudulent science that has made America so vulnerable: the belief that oil is a fossil fuel and that it is a finite resource. This book reveals the conclusions reached by Dr. Thomas Gold, a professor at Cornell University, in his seminal book "The Deep Hot Biosphere: The Myth of Fossil Fuels" (Copernicus Books, 1998) and accepted by many in the scientific community that oil is not a product of fossils and prehistoric forests but rather the bio-product of a continuing biochemical reaction below the earth's surface that is brought to attainable depths by the centrifugal forces of the earth's rotation.

Still the Manufacturer recommends Synth right ? So why should i assume i know better?

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-15-2006, 04:53 PM
at the Chevron by the "Grassy Knoll" that is run by Elvis and Jim Morrison.

SchnellE34
08-15-2006, 06:14 PM
Planning on switching to synthetic some time...

aston_jag_tech
08-15-2006, 08:55 PM
I use 20w50. I just rolled 252252 miles and with no loss of oil what so ever. And after 5k the oil is still very amber colored. I am VERY impressed with this engine(m30).

Bill R.
08-15-2006, 08:58 PM
at the Chevron by the "Grassy Knoll" that is run by Elvis and Jim Morrison.

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-15-2006, 09:01 PM
would drink too much before noon and all hell would break loose in the garage

Gayle
08-15-2006, 09:13 PM
Dino by choice. A contrarian opinion here, I know.

Why? My cars 3rd owner switched to mobil 1 and promptly cracked a rocker arm requiring him to throw $1,800 at the top end. Ouch. Maybe just a coincidence.

Discussed dino v synthetic it with my indy at at the service 2. These are the leading classic restorers in the country so they see lots of bmws. And they have a racing background. And they teach other bmw techs. So they have pretty good credibility with me.

Their theory is e34s have a hard time getting the oil pressure up to where it should be so why make it worse with thin oil. And they mentioned that they think synthetic is a cause of throwing rocker arms. Coincidence. Maybe.

My car has had such regular oil service and is so clean, I just don't feel like I need synthetic to clean it.

Just .02 from the clueless.

aston_jag_tech
08-15-2006, 09:23 PM

Why? My cars 3rd owner switched to mobil 1 and promptly cracked a rocker arm requiring him to throw $1,800 at the top end. Ouch. Maybe just a coincidence.

Ouch! The engine cracked a rocker after you bought it? What happened?

Gayle
08-15-2006, 09:29 PM
Ouch! The engine cracked a rocker after you bought it? What happened?

No it happened before I bought it. I am the 4th owner of my garage princess. That happened to the 3rd owner at about 4500-5000 rpm when he was passing a car in city traffic--no special reason. That guy was way more anal about the car than I am so I don't think he was abusing it.

aston_jag_tech
08-15-2006, 09:46 PM
No it happened before I bought it. I am the 4th owner of my garage princess. That happened to the 3rd owner at about 4500-5000 rpm when he was passing a car in city traffic--no special reason. That guy was way more anal about the car than I am so I don't think he was abusing it.
Oh lucky you Gayle. Yeah that must have been a great sound to hear at 5k. LOL.
I love to hear engine failures. Well, not on my cars or anyone that doesnt deserve them that is.:D

KenB
08-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Switched to synthetic at 120k miles, no leaks, runs great at 176k.

I hear Jim's got 'luudes.:D

Bill R.
08-16-2006, 12:24 AM
lemme see, yeah that its , synthetic oil broke that rocker, yeah thats it , thats the ticket..

Discussed dino v synthetic it with my indy at at the service 2. These are the leading classic restorers in the country so they see lots of bmws. And they have a racing background. And they teach other bmw techs. So they have pretty good credibility with me.

Their theory is e34s have a hard time getting the oil pressure up to where it should be so why make it worse with thin oil. And they mentioned that they think synthetic is a cause of throwing rocker arms. Coincidence. Maybe.

My car has had such regular oil service and is so clean, I just don't feel like I need synthetic to clean it.

Just .02 from the clueless.

Jehu
08-16-2006, 12:30 AM
lemme see, yeah that its , synthetic oil broke that rocker, yeah thats it , thats the ticket.. Not to jump on Gayle but wouldn't it be easier for the engine to deliver a less viscous oil to all areas in need?If the oil system is sealed except for when a valve is open which i guess is basically all the time when its running... but the pressure shouldn't ever be anywhere near such a low level that it would be unable to deliver even a 5w30 to the furthermost millimeters of the engine,right?

Bill R.
08-16-2006, 12:33 AM
for when a valve is open? what is this?

Not to jump on Gayle but wouldn't it be easier for the engine to deliver a less viscous oil to all areas in need?If the oil system is sealed except for when a valve is open which i guess is basically all the time when its running... but the pressure shouldn't ever be anywhere near such a low level that it would be unable to deliver even a 5w30 to the furthermost millimeters of the engine,right?

Jehu
08-16-2006, 12:43 AM
for when a valve is open? what is this?

don't the valves open to the intake and exhaust manifolds?I'm just pointing out the system isn't absolutely air tight as in sealed at all times where a small amount of pressure would be required to circulate something like oil. If Gayle's tech's explanation was that the Synth oil was too thin for the pump to deliver it where it was needed and the damage resulted thereby i was making the point that while the system in which the oil circulates isn't air tight it isn't so open that such a loss of pressure, providing the pump is functioning properly would result with a less viscous oil. I'm going out on a limb here as I've never really formally studied the design on the internal combustion engine to any extent and what i know is probably wrong and certainly incomplete.

Bill R.
08-16-2006, 12:48 AM
don't the valves open to the intake and exhaust manifolds?I'm just pointing out the system isn't absolutely air tight as in sealed at all times where a small amount of pressure would be required to circulate something like oil. If Gayle's tech's explanation was that the Synth oil was too thin for the pump to deliver it where it was needed and the damage resulted thereby i was making the point that while the system in which the oil circulates isn't air tight it isn't so open that such a loss of pressure, providing the pump is functioning properly would result with a less viscous oil. I'm going out on a limb here as I've never really formally studied the design on the internal combustion engine to any extent and what i know is probably wrong and certainly incomplete.

Jehu
08-16-2006, 12:52 AM

Amazing you've managed so many posts and said so little of any worth. Making a real name for yourself there... feel free to illuminate the universe with your inscrutable knowledge oh Grand Master.
http://www.webwhispers.org/newspics/jan04/Blowhard.jpg

Fetch
08-16-2006, 12:59 AM
Found out mine had Valvoline Synth 5w40 AFTER I did an oil change to dino 10w30. Had I known it was using synth I would have kept it that way....I'll swap next oil change.

ILoveMPower
08-16-2006, 01:46 AM
I use dino oil because it's a devil I know. All the horror stories of switching to synthetic scare me. I could still be convinced, though, maybe....

aston_jag_tech
08-16-2006, 01:48 AM
Fetch, Your engine has Nikasil coating? Have you ever heard or experienced flooding? Some Jags that Ive worked on, with the Nikasil, have that problem.

632 Regal
08-16-2006, 02:12 AM
for a thread asking for no reason this is interesting. unsealed engines and synthetic oil breaking parts...I never imagined such nonsence.

pundit
08-16-2006, 02:36 AM
for a thread asking for no reason this is interesting. unsealed engines and synthetic oil breaking parts...I never imagined such nonsence.
THAT'S IT!! From now on I'm running mine on extra virgin olive oil with a pinch of parmasan cheese... no frickin' broken rocker arms for me!! :D

Paul in NZ
08-16-2006, 03:48 AM
what i want to know is how jeff managed two votes.

It makes no sense to me that the oil pump would have difficulty in pumping low viscosity oils....i use synthetic for the opposite reason,cold engine start.....low viscosity oil is pumping straight away.....isnt it?

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-16-2006, 04:31 AM
Elvis, Jim and Stevie Ray explained it at the "Grassy Knoll" Chevron Station. (You know the one, round the corner from "Area 51")

Oh man… Jimmy Hendrix showed up...He busted out the Royal Purple...man that sh!t was bad...

The multi grade stuff is like real mellow when everything is cool, so like man, it flows..yeah, man it flows real good so the pump doesn’t have a bad trip from this heavy viscosity dude, so the rockers can rock-on and the crank can spin.

Isn’t it just totally righteous man....

genphreak
08-16-2006, 05:43 AM
Synthetic, works well in the engine, not so good if the lid comes off the bottle in the boot (trunk) though..., on a brighter note, at least my carpet doesn't squeak. :DLMAO!

Damn it Jeff, there is no option in the poll to answer seperately for the front and rear of the car...

HDhandyman
08-16-2006, 06:01 AM
tastes great!

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-16-2006, 11:35 AM
I need a Lobotomy to remove that image from my memory.

Fetch
08-16-2006, 01:37 PM
Fetch, Your engine has Nikasil coating? Have you ever heard or experienced flooding? Some Jags that Ive worked on, with the Nikasil, have that problem.

Flooding as in too much gas?
no, not that I know of...

aston_jag_tech
08-16-2006, 08:45 PM
Flooding as in too much gas?
no, not that I know of...

Yeah too much fuel, well thats good to hear bmw engines dont suffer from that.:)

Gayle
08-16-2006, 09:20 PM
I need a Lobotomy to remove that image from my memory.

I thought you had been there, done that. No?:D

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-16-2006, 09:23 PM
the rest were lost at a Pink Floyd concert

Wyn
08-17-2006, 12:07 AM
I went to a synthblend, and won't look back.

BillionPa
08-17-2006, 02:25 AM
the way the numbers in oil viscosities were originally setup is how many seconds it took a certian amount of oil to pump through the engine, so YES, lower viscosity oil pumps much better than high viscosity oil.

so why get thicker oil? higher film strength to prevent the oil from dissapating under load and when the engine is not running.

so why get thinner oil? it flows a hell of a lot better, generally provides better fuel economy.

so what is best? one that has a low viscosity AND a high film strength. any oil that is 50wt or 40wt HD has a film strength of a certain minimum level, as part of the specification. some lower viscosity oils also meet the HD film strength spec, such as Redline 5W30 and 10W30, and a few other group5 synthetics.

these are the kind you can use in pretty much any condition, hot, cold, endurance racing, or for back and forth from work for 2 miles a day.

YES I KNOW I WASNT SUPPOSED TO GET INTO THIS.....
however someone else brought up the flow rates and this should sort that out

Ross
11-21-2006, 09:47 AM
Any proper Ceasar salad will attest to the viscosity increase parmesan contributes to olive oil.

Vanguard
11-21-2006, 07:07 PM
http://www.johnrozum.com/images/dino.jpg

Alexlind123
11-22-2006, 08:33 PM
As an update to this thread, i have since switched to mobil1 5w-30.

632 Regal
11-22-2006, 08:48 PM
notice any difference?