PDA

View Full Version : e34 up on ramps

gymkata
08-14-2006, 01:51 PM
Is it possible to use those drive up ramps to get under a e34 you get for $40? any experience with them? I'm afraid I'm going to scratch up / remove the front plastic below the fender. Any experience. I noticed someone had a picture of a e34 on ramps and was wondering if they jacked up the car and just slid these under to hold it in place.
Thanks.

theonlyrealperson
08-14-2006, 02:23 PM
I don't have any pictures, but I can put my '95 525i up on ramps without a problem. It gets close, but the ramps never touched the paint.

brosher
08-14-2006, 02:31 PM
Here's a shot of my 540 up on rhino ramps. I've had these for 5 years and they work great. Highly recommend these over any type of metal ramps.

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/7954/messso4.jpg

swenpro
08-14-2006, 02:40 PM
I have metal ramps that have a lip on the edges which would normally scratch the bumper. To prevent this, I simply place a couple 2x4s behind the ramp. By the time the bumper reaches the ramp, the blocks have elevated the wheels and the bumper doesn't touch.

To keep the ramps from sliding out on the garage floor, I simply place a long 2x4 behind each ramp and push them against the garage wall. This seems to be more of a problem with our RWD cars since the front wheels are pushing instead of the way FWD would grab a ramp and pull itself up.

Alpinewhite
08-14-2006, 02:44 PM
Ramps are by far the easiest way to get under the car. I feel it is kind of safe too. I always have some one to tell me if I am going to go beyond the limit.

Don't forget to add Four wheel chokes for the rear wheel. If your garage floor is smooth you might want to buy some anti slip mats.

Good luck

Arun

cmk
08-14-2006, 05:45 PM
There was a post here a couple weeks ago about someone who had the black Rino ramps and had them failed explosively.

I own a set of the grey (heavy duty) Rino ramps and had one corner of one ramp develop a 2" crack along the base.

I won't get under them alone, i always put jack stands under as well.

BillionPa
08-14-2006, 07:47 PM
i have tried to push the car off the ramps in neutral DOWN an inclined garage, and have failed to do so. also, when i drive onto them, they angle forward, pulling the rubber stop off the ground, and causing them to slide with the car as to not have the car fly off of them.

theonlyrealperson
08-15-2006, 08:30 AM
Wow, I'll start putting jack stands underneath them as well then. I have a set of the heavy duty grey rhinos as well - and I've never had a problem.

But, then again, one can't be too careful underneath a car...

HDhandyman
08-15-2006, 08:34 AM
Wow, I'll start putting jack stands underneath them as well then. I have a set of the heavy duty grey rhinos as well - and I've never had a problem.

But, then again, one can't be too careful underneath a car...

definately search for that thread...I think it's called "rhino ramps colapse?" or something like that.;)

Qube
08-15-2006, 09:03 AM
I have metal ramps, but have a hard time getting it on with the car lowered :)

saluki540i
08-15-2006, 10:00 AM
My 540 is right at home on the rhino ramps wether on one pair or two-all kidding aside - never had a problem

puppypilgrim
08-15-2006, 11:08 AM
I have metal ramps, but have a hard time getting it on with the car lowered :)

Ist it possible to jack the car up using a hydraulic jack, then lower it onto a ramp and chock the wheels? My car is also lowered and I don't think driving it up the ramp is possible.

granit_silber
08-15-2006, 11:31 AM
Ist it possible to jack the car up using a hydraulic jack, then lower it onto a ramp and chock the wheels? My car is also lowered and I don't think driving it up the ramp is possible.
Put a peice of 2x6 or 2x10 in front of the ramp. You drive onto the wood first and your car is elevated before it reaches the ramp. Or buy low profile ramps, Griot's Garage has them.

go here Low-Profile Ramps (http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.jsp?searchtext=ramp&search.x=0&search.y=0)

BillionPa
08-15-2006, 12:20 PM
or buy some wood, nails, and clamps, and make yourself a wide, long 2 piece ramp set (i think the one i saw was about 5ft long)