PDA

View Full Version : Check Control Light and Rear vents

Eric540i
08-14-2006, 12:05 PM
Hello all.

First thanks for the wealth of information generously offered here - it's saved me much time, money and frustration.

I have a few questions I hope somebody might help me with.
My E34 540iA is a South African build and appears to lack the 'Check Engine Light' facility. I'm wondering if it's built into the instrument panel regardless and just needs to be wired up. I've included a photo of my instrument panel and labelled lights that the owner's manual doesn't appear to attribute any function to.

A - This seems to simply be a white blank
B - This has a caution triangle icon stencilled on it
C - This has 'EML' stencilled on it

Might any of these correspond to a 'Check Engine Light'?

Another question I have concerns the rear (centre-console) vents. No air flows through them despite trying all the ventilation control settings. Is there a stepper motor that controls the air-flow to these vents? If so, where is it located?

Thanks.

granit_silber
08-14-2006, 12:18 PM
I'm probably wrong, but I thought that the "check Engine" was one of the messages that shows up in little readout (where yours says brake linings).

-ashley

Alexlind123
08-14-2006, 12:27 PM
I'm probably wrong, but I thought that the "check Engine" was one of the messages that shows up in little readout (where yours says brake linings).

-ashley

No, its a light on the dash.

Mike-AZ
08-14-2006, 01:47 PM
(A) is the light meter for dimming the instruments or increasing bulb output depending on ambient light levels.

(B) is a light that works with the ASC traction control. I think it comes on if your car experiences slippage.

(C) dunno, i cannot remember.

The rear vents should work no matter what unless the "knurled" wheel next to the vent is down in the closed position.

BillionPa
08-14-2006, 07:41 PM
the EML light is for cars with drive by wire throttle, if the light goes on, something bad has happened to the control system.

the check engine light should be right next to the battery light

shogun
08-14-2006, 08:26 PM
The socket is there for the check engine light, but no bulb inside.
But you can make it work if you study the Bentely wiring diagrams.
You have to connect wires from the MOTRONIC to the dash.
It does not work on the MOTRONIC 1.2, only on 1.5 which came from 1990 on the E32 750. So you have to check that for your car.
I only know the connections on the M70 1.7 MOTRONICs
cable ECU I pin8 + ECU II pin 8 (motronic I and II are same pins) and new cable on instrument cluster connector X502 pin3
and a new bulb in the bulb holder.

Eric540i
08-15-2006, 02:36 PM
Thanks for your help.
I'll check out the wiring diagrams in Bentley's.